Notices

WRX Coolant Problem

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2006, 03:44 PM
Mr B's Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Coolant Problem

I've been suffering coolant loss from my 52 plate WRX for nearly ten months now. It can lose quite a significant amount i.e. virtually empty the expansion tank within a couple of days on others it might only a small amount within a week. I've tried to work out when it happens but it's difficult to do. I do get a very strong coolant smell within the cabin though. I've had it to the main dealer on countless occassions where they have pressuried the system many times only to find 'No Problem' (other than when they over pressuired it and the radiator failed). Any ideas guys? Somebody mentioned it might by the heater matrix, what do you think?

Cheers.
Mark.
Old 19 August 2006, 04:29 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem,strong smell in the cabin,but dont be fooled,it was the platic caps on the end of the front rad.
Take a look see if you can see any water marks down the sides of the rad,mine was also pressure checked and they said nothing wrong,but in the end the leak got worse and they found it.
My car also was a 52 plated WRX.

Last edited by st3v3; 19 August 2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 19 August 2006, 05:52 PM
Mr B's Scooby
Scooby Newbie

It had a new rad fitted in feb this year due to the over pressurisation failure of the top plastic section on the rad but I've still got the same problem. Last month the cooling fan also chewed through the top hose because the double thickness sleeve had moved. I was hoping there was a remote chance this might have been the problem but no. Thanks for your reply I'll get it checked again.