Notices

Weird uneven driving before boost.

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2006, 01:10 PM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird uneven driving before boost.

Afternoon people,

I have been searching high anad low for a fix to my problem, all to no avail. It seems that it is either a unique problem or no one understands what I mean.

Problem: When the car is cold it is worse. When driving off boost at a steady speed and just going up through the gears very sensibly, it feels as if there is someone just slightly pressing the brakes on, then off, then on, then off and so on. It feels quite bad to be honest. The air freshener rocks back and forth too so that gives you some impression as to how bad it is. Someone suggested that it may be the MAF. I can now confirm that I wasted money buying one. I don't know much about a scoob engine so I am pretty much stuck. So any help is always appreciated.

Oh almost forgot. When it comes on boost properly, it doesn't feel too bad. Though the car even on boost does feel a little lumpy if you get what I mean. Just not as pronounced as it is off boost at all.

Oh and it's a MY99 UK Turbo with no mods that I know of, but running about 15-17 PSI. In fact the boost drops off sometimes too. Don't know if this could help with the above preoblem?

Thanks,

Chad.
Old 20 August 2006, 02:49 PM
wrxfox
Scooby Regular

i had a similar problem turned out to be the lambda sensor .tested it by unplugging the sensor then took it for a short drive felt much better plugged it back in running bad again.new lambda all fine

rob
Old 20 August 2006, 09:19 PM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxfox
i had a similar problem turned out to be the lambda sensor .tested it by unplugging the sensor then took it for a short drive felt much better plugged it back in running bad again.new lambda all fine

rob
Nice one. Will it not do any damage at all by driving it without the Lambda plugged in?

Chad.
Old 20 August 2006, 09:48 PM
phil12312
Scooby Regular

mine is doing that just the same i might get a new lambda how much any idea and is it easy to fit
on tick over mine is a bit lumpy sometimes do u get that to chad

Last edited by phil12312; 20 August 2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 20 August 2006, 10:32 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

have you read this thread ?

https://www.scoobynet.com/pulsing-ac...t-t446003.html
Old 21 August 2006, 01:39 AM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Nope, I hadn't seen that thread, but thanks. I will give it a go. My only concern is driving without a lamda plugged in. If someone can give me some kind of reassurance that this won't upset it too much or to the point of killing it then I'll try it tomorrow.

Thank you for the replies.

Chad.
Old 21 August 2006, 07:18 AM
wrxfox
Scooby Regular

i drove mine for a week with the sensor disconnected with no probs .ecu uses lambda for cruising and maf for boost you should be fine as long as you dont go crazy.to test it you only need to drive up the road you should feel the difference .
Old 21 August 2006, 09:38 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Just remember to unplug it, not take it out :-)
Old 21 August 2006, 11:46 AM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps!! If, when I try this it feels fine and the problem goes away, the temptation to leave it unplugged would of course be there. Would you say this would be fine? Or definately plug it back in? From what I read on that other thread, replacing the lamda didn't fix it even though the problem went away when unplugged. So knowing this will make the temptation worse I think.

Cheers,

Chad.