Notices

Noisy boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 01:22 PM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy boost solenoid

I have been getting the low rev "ticking" from the boost control solenoid on my bog standard my96 UK turbo classic for some time but it seems to be getting louder. Have cleaned it and pipes out (no crap came out) and all mounting rubbers feel OK. You can feel the thing vibrating if you hold it and blip the throttle. Thing is car runs great and revs to red line no problem. Apart from the annoying noise, is there anything to worry about? Are Subaru replacements expensive and would a new one quieten things down.
One other thing, after a good blast there is always a slight smell of burning oil from the engine. Don't appear to be losing or using any so is this another "they all do that" scenario?
Cheers
Old 21 August 2006, 01:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JeffT
I have been getting the low rev "ticking" from the boost control solenoid on my bog standard my96 UK turbo classic for some time but it seems to be getting louder. Have cleaned it and pipes out (no crap came out) and all mounting rubbers feel OK. You can feel the thing vibrating if you hold it and blip the throttle. Thing is car runs great and revs to red line no problem. Apart from the annoying noise, is there anything to worry about? Are Subaru replacements expensive and would a new one quieten things down.
One other thing, after a good blast there is always a slight smell of burning oil from the engine. Don't appear to be losing or using any so is this another "they all do that" scenario?
Cheers
Apparently, it's when the solenoids don't click you need to worry. My old 2 port was a noisy bugger! When I upgraded to a 3 port, (which you can't do unless you're getting the car mapped for it) it went away to a large extent. You can get replacement 2 ports from a breaker for about 30 quid.

As for the burning oil, what are you using? Have you had a change recently?

Ns04
Old 21 August 2006, 02:04 PM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Put in Halfrauds Fully Synth 5/40 (think) about 3k miles ago - will be changing it this weekend for Magnatec 10/40 and Subaru filter. Car's done 77k.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JeffT
Put in Halfrauds Fully Synth 5/40 (think) about 3k miles ago - will be changing it this weekend for Magnatec 10/40 and Subaru filter. Car's done 77k.
Could you have spilt any on parts of the engine that are lible to get very hot?

I would consider upgrading to a quality fuly Synth oil too and Magnatec isn't one of them! Speak to "Oilman" on here.

Ns04
Old 21 August 2006, 05:13 PM
ukmrw1
Scooby Newbie

Have just bought a 95 Turbo wagon and was about to ask the same question, as the ticking is obvious at idle but otherwise the car seems fine. Certainly a hell of a lot quicker than the wife's 4Cam Legacy as well!

Cars done 70k with a full Subaru history, and the ticking is the only thing which started to worry me, but we (me and Jeff T) don't need to worry? (Sorry to hijack your thread, Jeff!)