Notices

What are the sighns of head gasket faliure?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 03:46 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the sighns of head gasket faliure?

Hi all iv got a bit of a dilema, could someone give me some advice please,

Right was driving to work a few weeks ago when i noticed steam coming from the bonnet vents on my scoob, pulled over lifted bonnet and found my rad had split on the plastic spout top of rad near the header tank, a week proir to this i had to replace the header tank as it split, now the dilema is iv been told my iv got head gasket faluire although iv had no checks done as of yet, the water in the header tank is frothy but it is a very clean white colour and looks more like fairy washing up liquid bubbles than anything else??? and i have no mayonaisey type stuff anywhere, dipstick, oil filler cap, iv parked the car up an havent used it since the prob jus havn`t had time to sort it, but it still starts an runs perfectly (apart from split rad of course).

Does this sound like head gasket faluire? Am i going to have to strip the engine out and start a project thread lol.

Thanks in advance

Worbs

Last edited by worbs; 21 August 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 21 August 2006, 04:18 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by worbs
Hi all iv got a bit of a dilema, could someone give me some advice please,

Right was driving to work a few weeks ago when i noticed steam coming from the bonnet vents on my scoob, pulled over lifted bonnet and found my rad had split on the plastic spout top of rad near the header tank, a week proir to this i had to replace the header tank as it split, now the dilema is iv been told my iv got head gasket faluire although iv had no checks done as of yet, the water in the header tank is frothy but it is a very clean white colour and looks more like fairy washing up liquid bubbles than anything else??? and i have no mayonaisey type stuff anywhere, dipstick, oil filler cap, iv parked the car up an havent used it since the prob jus havn`t had time to sort it, but it still starts an runs perfectly (apart from split rad of course).

Does this sound like head gasket faluire? Am i going to have to strip the engine out and start a project thread lol.

Thanks in advance

Worbs
There is a quick test that a garage can perform, it tests for combustion gases in the cooling system, this sounds like possible head gasket, but the test will confirm this.

Hope this helps
Old 21 August 2006, 04:33 PM
JeffT
Scooby Regular

Best test is compresion test or check for combustion gasses in cooling circuit. I've worked in radiator industry for a long time now and when components in cooling circuit start to burst its usually because of the extremely high pressure spikes caused by combustion gases escaping in to the coolant side through head gasket. Especially worse on turbo - charged engines. I've seen Cosworth radiators that are almost round as the core has expanded due to high pressures.
Old 21 August 2006, 04:51 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search...
Old 21 August 2006, 05:03 PM
SPANK
Scooby Regular

i know it aint the same but i had a mondeo that did exactly the same thing and it turned out to be a thermostat that was stuck shut,replaced it! ran it up and it was fine.
Old 21 August 2006, 05:41 PM
ukmrw1
Scooby Newbie

Head gaskets went on my 4CAm Legacy about 18 months ago. Car wouldn't drive for more than 15 mins without the temp guage going through the roof, and all the hoses around the engine got rock hard with the increased pressure. Clincher was the steady stream of bubbles into the header tank.

I had no mayo or anything like that......

Not conclusive, but hope that helps!
Old 22 August 2006, 01:26 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys folks, i can run the car for a while with no majour temp increase, the guage raises no higher that normal, ill get my local garage to perform a few tests to confirm for me but im kind of 99% its the head gasket/s.

Oh well if it is for sure then PROJECT VERSION 1 will deffo be on the cards lol.