Notices

Strange Noise under decellaration

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 10:26 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise under decellaration

My MY99 has just started making a strange metallic rumbling (if that makes sense) it's noticable only under decellaration and disappears the moment the car is under power or I push down the clutch.

The really strange thing I'm convinced that this started after I checked my tyre pressures and pushed the car back a few yards as the air hose would not reach one the front tyres.

Looking at other threads it sort of sounds like the noise that some people have had with lightened flywheels, is there any way that pushing the car backwards could somehow have created a similar problem.
Old 14 October 2006, 10:08 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

OK, this morning noise is still there a little bit of spirited driving including one fairly fast "launch" and it's gone What the hell was it?
Old 14 October 2006, 07:44 PM
Tiller
Scooby Newbie

I had a noise under decelleration that had me and my mechanic friends stumped. I was certain it was in the tranny... it ended up being my COBB turbo heat shield of all things. It was rubbing on the engine block... You might have something just a little loose.
Old 14 October 2006, 07:49 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get the same thing, just my noise hasn't went away No one locally seems to know what's wrong with mine.

Still it got me to Santa Pod from Newcastle and back with 3 drag runs in between and didn't break..........................thankfully

On my car, it sound like the noise is from the OSR wheel area.
Old 14 October 2006, 07:54 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

maybe whine from diff or gearbox??????
Old 14 October 2006, 08:07 PM
Squarepusher
Scooby Regular

I currently have a similar problem.

2, 3, 4th gear deceleration between 2-3k

Get a low rumbling noise.

Took it to API and they have diagnosed it as being one of the rear diff bearings.

Got to go in for the diff rebuilding

Haven't had any real problems with it, but have been taking it easy and trying not to run down through this rev range.

Cheers

Sq.

P.S I have a MY99 RB5 (WR Sport)
Old 14 October 2006, 08:56 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, reading the other threads it appears that the clutch release bearing may sometimes be a cause of these strange noises and they do sometimes go away.

I'm pretty convinced it was something in the transmission as it all started when I pushed the car backwards a few yards, and disappeared whan the clutch was disengaged, does this count out diff whine or would it just subtly change the loading on the diff and possibly make it go away.

I do have to say however that it did sound very like the symptoms that Squarepusher described when it was happening so maybe it is something more serious, I'll get it checked out, but in the meantime I'll make sure I can reach all the wheels with the air line next time I check the tyre pressures
Old 14 October 2006, 11:29 PM
Squarepusher
Scooby Regular

The noise on mine disappears if you disengage the clutch.

And when driving it does sound as though it is coming from the gearbox area (front rather than rear of car!!).
When I took it out with the guys from API, they first thought it was clutch release bearing, particularly as it had just had new clutch & lightened flywheel fitted.

However, the put it up on the lift and ran up the engine and the noise was clearly coming from the rear diff.

I would suggest you take it somewhere like API and get them to take a good look at it.

Hope this helps

Cheers