Notices

custom intercooler pipework & manifold reversal

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2006, 09:51 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom intercooler pipework & manifold reversal

Do any specific materials need to be used? or is it a case of just getting some tubed metal and some samco ?

Id like to redesign the pipework for the hybrid IC i have to make it shorter, in an ideal world reversing the manifold (which is another issue)

I take it that an intercooler can flow both ways? the reason i ask is that i am contemplating putting it on upside down (which would also mean rotating it) so that the entry holes are at the top as aposed to the bottom bringing them closer to the throttle body and turbo (not by much i agree)

I may be able to cut up by existing pipework to do the job which would be a lot cheaper but i would still need the samco joiners anyway.

Is reversing the manifold reserved for rotated setups?
Old 29 November 2006, 10:12 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Neil, I will be rotating my manifold with the 2.5, but I have a ph.1.5 manifold which is easier to rotate. I have already rotated the compressor cover on my turbo so that it flows out towards the offside wing (My 18G Install).

I have also considered turning the FMIC core upside down and routing the pipes underneath/behind the headlights, someone in NZ has already done that, but with a slightly smaller Hybrid core, do a search for username 'rac' on 22B I think he posted some pics. I think he may have emailed me some more pics, I need to look at home.

The core is symmetrical so can flow either way.

Andrew...
Old 29 November 2006, 11:36 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andrew, Ill check that thread when i get home (22b is blocked here yet all others remain!) Im not overly sure how the pipework would travel up from the cooler just yet but i will be taking the front cross member off in a few weeks anyway to reprofile to raise the core up anyway so hopefully ill get some insight then.

Would like it to be nice and neat yet not have to go through the wings at all as it currently does.

I think Steven has a rotated phase 2 inlet so hopefully that will answer some questions about alternator re-positioning etc....(correct me if im wrong)

Ideally id like to do this all in one go, im in the process of getting parallel fuel rails, manifold spacers, and the turbo converted to 3" with a 3" inlet pipe.

This may be a step too far for me though so may have to bring in the cavalry!