Notices

3000 RPM hasitation Problem and weird noise !!

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2006, 01:26 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000 RPM hasitation Problem and weird noise !!

Hey Fella's,

My MY00 Impreza seems to have developed a fault or to put it better a 'Niggle'

If I plant the throttle and say goto around 5-6K its fine and pulls like a train but if I gently accelerate I get a stutter and kind of pull back at around 3000 rpm, also sometimes seems a little stuttery below 3 k as well. Car runs fin apart from this but I would like to sort it because its the only thing that really needs to be sorted.

Oh and while you're here, I have recently had the cambelt replaced along with the tensioner, Idle pulleys etc but I have a noise coming from the crank area that raises in pitch as I rev the engine. I have removed the Alternator belt and run the engine to see if it was powersteering/Alternator related but the noise is still there. It is more prominent when cold but is audible all the time. Its almost like a powersteering pump noise coming from behind the Crank pully. I dont remember it being there before the Cambelt was replaced. Any idea's - I am hoping its not the oil pump (What sort of milage do these last - Currently My scoob is at 95,000 miles)

Thanks in advance for any help guys

Regards

Chris
Old 01 December 2006, 01:31 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Maybe the cam belt has been set too tight???

hestitation seems similar to my car, have you got any mods on there? I have a decat and was told that it can cause boost surging, likewise when i plant it its fine....

If its surging i was advised to get a remap...
Old 01 December 2006, 01:39 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickyrhodes
Maybe the cam belt has been set too tight???

hestitation seems similar to my car, have you got any mods on there? I have a decat and was told that it can cause boost surging, likewise when i plant it its fine....

If its surging i was advised to get a remap...
hey Mate,

Mods to date are:

Green Cotton Panel Filter
ProDrive IC Pipes
ScoobySport BackBox

She has'nt been decatted though. This is going to be done shortly and if I can find one I want to fit a Prodrive ECU as well.

I thought the Cambelts were on an Autotensioner and if so how could they have done it too tight. If thats is the case then they can sort it out but I was beginning to panic about the Oil Pump for some reason

Can someone tell me what to look for for a failing OilPump, noises etc. The oil light goes straight out as soon as she starts and doesnt flicker etc.
Old 01 December 2006, 01:49 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I didnt know they were on an autotensioner, was just making an assumption since it started when the cam belt has been changed. Is the oil pump driven off the cam belt too? I've been told the oil pump is a common failure on classics but not sure if it would whine ??
Old 01 December 2006, 02:49 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Mine was just doing the same thing with the hesitation etc(search my threads and you will see my description),but it has just been fixed.

I had the Oxygen Sensor and the MAF Sensor replaced and it is now spot on again..............although i am nearly £300 lighter
Old 02 December 2006, 04:50 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

I had similar and the lambda sensor was duff....