DEAD subaru, help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2006, 11:51 AM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD subaru, help me!!!

Morning

Came home from night shift the other morning. I have a half an hour drive to and from work. It was quite a spirited drive home (all on motorway) sitting around 90-95 mph. Car was cruising nicely. Gauges reading spot on.

Came off slip road about 2 minutes from home. Got to the end of slip road and as I pulled up, oil pressure warning light gave a few flashes. Its set at 30lb per whatever. Didn't think too much about it, it sometimes happens if the idle is low when nearly stalling pulling away at a junction. Did notice the idle was lower than normal.

Anyway continued driving, engine felt a bit funny. It wasn't missing but something wasn't right. Still seemed to have some poke.

I did notice everytime I changed gear, the engine would drop again to low idle and the low oil pressure light would flash. I dont usually drive like that as I usually keep some throttle on but by now my curiosity was getting the better of me.

I carried on and literally 30 seconds from home, just before turning onto my street, the car cuts out. No spluttering, no knocking, no nothing. Just dies on me. Try to start it, nothing!! Notice a fair bit of steam coming out of the front left hand side.

Oh dear me thinks. Pop the bonnet. Fair bit of steam. I guess at this point, its overheated and dumped the water out of the little pipe near the battery. I feel the engine and it seems warm but certainly not more than usual. I put my hand on the radiator. Stone cold!! Expansion tank is still warm and coolant pipe at the bottom of the radiator is still warm.

Anyway, I leave it for a few minutes and try the engine again. Its turns over fine but wont start. I push the car into a side street and walk home.

Been a bit busy so only managed to get back to look at the car this morning. Check the coolant, expansion tank is empty. Put in about 1 1/4 between expansion tank and filler on right beside engine so I dont think it was that empty. Oil levels fine.

It still wont start, so i've left it with the battery disconnected and will be going back to it in a couple of hours.

Question is, have I wrecked it or do you think it'll be ok. And why wont it start???

Thanks for yuor assistance, hoping its not going to cost a fortune otherwise i'll be putting it in storage for a while and getting my VW Corrado VR6 out again for some fun!!

T.
Old 29 December 2006, 01:13 PM
Bartek
Scooby Newbie

Looks like thermostat got stuck or cooling hose broke before cooling system was completely open. Stone cold radiator definitely means it. Didn't you notice engine temp. rising at your gauge? If this situation lasted for more than 15-20 minutes of spirited driving I would be afraid of your engine. First thing to go is head gasket(s) and if it is the only thing to do (apart from warped heads) it's the best case scenario. That's the theory - I am not good at subarus but it looks like HG could actually be gone so engine turns over but it can't start.
Old 30 December 2006, 12:12 PM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Temps were fine. I'm mega paranoid about the whole car so I'm always checking the gauges.

I hope it aint too serious.

I'm pretty handy mechanically so it looks like it'll be off the road until I can get some time to look at it and hopefully fix it.

I would have thought, even if the gaskets had gone it would be able to start. Unless they are all completely shot.

Nevermind. Time to research head gasket replacement.

Cheeers

T.
Old 06 January 2007, 01:37 PM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Does anyone else have any ideas?

I've sent it off to my local mechanic who's **** hot so awaiting the diagnosis.

T.
Old 06 January 2007, 05:43 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Difficult to tell given the variety of symptoms but have a look for water in the oil (looks milky) ... this is a good indication of a head gasket gone.

If there's no sign of firing when cranking it could be the crank sensor, immobiliser or fuel pump at fault.

Oil light coming on is a bit worrying but if you say it quite often comes on at low idle and if it didn't come on at higher revs it could be a red herring.

A Cold radiator isnt good after a run so there's a problem there and some places to start are a split hose and or air in the radiator, faulty thermostat, faulty water pump, snapped fan belt.
Old 11 January 2007, 08:18 PM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Good news and bad news........

Water pump seized, timing jumped some teeth, bearing in one of the cam shafts has gone.

Best case scenario is, no valves bent, new water pump, bearing and cam belt = Healthy subaru.

Worst case scenario is, timing way out, many bent valves, engine rebuild ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Got everything I can cross, crossed.

If you hear you engine making funny noises, get it checked out or this is what happens

T. (saving ££ as we speak!!)
Old 22 January 2007, 05:32 PM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Its all good news so far.

Water pump has been replaced, new cambelt and new pulley idler.

Engine started straight away, but misfired at around 5000 rpm. Not concerned about that. Engine had no coolant and wasn't warmed up.

Compression checks have been done. 100 psi on all cylinders. It wasn't a warm engine and not sure if my mechanic had the throttle open.

Quite happy at the minute. Should be getting it back shortly. Water system is being put back together so should be able to take it out for a run to see if it really has survived almost certain death.

This is probably to first bit of pure luck I have ever had with a car.

Fingers crossed.

T.

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2007, 05:55 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

mine are crossed for you aswell m8.

good luck
Old 23 January 2007, 05:57 PM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Happy, happy, happy days.

Got my car back today. After replacing water pump and pulley bearing its going like a train.

Well chuffed. Really missed the beast over the last 4 weeks.

T.
Old 23 January 2007, 06:05 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well done m8, its a scary think when something goes wrong with your car,
Old 23 January 2007, 07:24 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

fan fecking tastic
Old 23 January 2007, 07:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice bit of luck, mate.

Bit like my lad when he snapped the cambelt on his 1.2 Clio: bent ONE valve!!
Cost him a £ton with me doing the work.

Alcazar
Old 23 January 2007, 07:40 PM
Timo.
Scooby Regular

Haven't got the bill for the work yet, but dont think it'll be too bad.

Certainly not as bad as it could have been!!

T.