MY 99 Crank.

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2007, 04:22 PM
Chad!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY 99 Crank.

Guys, I have a question.

Quite simply, how good will the crank be in my car. It's either a very late MY99 or a very earlly MY00 UK spec. Is the crank just as ****e as I keep hearing? Did they in their infinite wisdom put a better crank in them on this year?
I don't know what the deal is here cause I've heard before about Subaru using different cranks for different years as well as different models? So can anyone tell me, how good should it actually be?

Cheers,

Chad.
Old 18 January 2007, 04:55 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crank is definetly less prone to failure (or rather the crank/bearing/rod/ combination) on the new age cars, and there have certainly been many detail changes to the bottom end since MY00 (bearing material, oil hole drillings etc.)

You would expect a manufacturer to continually improve though?

As for "how good it should be" is impossible to say. A standard, serviced regularly car, driven sensibly it should be fine. Exceed any of these parameters by a given amount and then you may wish to look at uprating.

You should note that crank/bearing failure is quite likely to be as a result of another problem somewhere - excess oil temps, sticky oil pumps, detonation for various reasons - All of which are possible causes.