Notices

New engine run-in/what does the manual suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2007, 10:34 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Default New engine run-in/what does the manual suggest?

Hi,

I have ordered a new WRX from germany and would like to ask you what's the best way of running-in a new engine.
I have heard a lot of differing opinions on other forums. I am mainly concerned about what are the maximum revs that can be used, how much throttle and if constant revs i.e. motorway driving is harmful. I will have to drive the car 950 km to bring it back home and would like to know what to do/avoid.
Could someone with a hawkeye tell me what the manual says? (i guess my manual would be in german which wouldn't help)
Engine reliability/durability is the main concern so the 'thrash it from new to get a few extra ponnies' method doesn't appeal to me - unless it has been proven to work from experience.

Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited by fpan; 29 January 2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 29 January 2007, 10:42 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very recent thread on this subject.
Old 29 January 2007, 10:43 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Here you go.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-re-build.html

Lots of different opinions, makes good reading. My opinions are there too for what its worth.

Dan.
Old 29 January 2007, 03:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by fpan
Hi,

I have ordered a new WRX from germany and would like to ask you what's the best way of running-in a new engine.
I have heard a lot of differing opinions on other forums. I am mainly concerned about what are the maximum revs that can be used, how much throttle and if constant revs i.e. motorway driving is harmful. I will have to drive the car 950 km to bring it back home and would like to know what to do/avoid.
Could someone with a hawkeye tell me what the manual says? (i guess my manual would be in german which wouldn't help)
Engine reliability/durability is the main concern so the 'thrash it from new to get a few extra ponnies' method doesn't appeal to me - unless it has been proven to work from experience.

Thanks a lot for your help
Running in an engine IIRC from the subaru manual (but these are common guidelines)

Stay below 4000rpm
Don't use large throttle applications, or heavy braking
Don't drive at constant speed/revs for extended periods
Don't let the engine labour etc...

Ideally, you want a mix of driving conditions that give you the chance to go up and down the gears gently and repeatedly.

I'd advocate that you don't use the 1000 mile oil change as an immediate invitation to the red line, but rather gradualy increase the rev limit by say 500rpm for each subsequent 200 miles you do after that.

Ns04