Notices

early intercooler replacment

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2007, 05:26 PM
Shortyturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default early intercooler replacment

my 95 wrx intercooler is a rite mess, looking for an upgrade but dont want to go to front mount. so im looking for something like a newer year intercooler but i really just want something thats easy to fit, dont really want to do any cutting or grinding.
is there anything out there that will bolt straight on?

seen the odd guide on here but all seen to be for later models without the slanted type cooler
Old 29 January 2007, 06:57 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Hi unfortunatly most he upgrades will need some sort of mods try looking at the sti 5 intercooler the one with the dump valve bolted on the intercooler might be the easiest one
KIP
Old 29 January 2007, 07:27 PM
classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Why dont you fancy a front mount? they are going in the group buy cheap i was going to change mine on a 95 wrx but found out that there was a lot of messing about to fit a later ic so if you got work to fit a new one why not go all they way and fit a front mount?
Old 29 January 2007, 07:33 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Im running the group buy theirs plenty of info on the fitting of these theirs about 18 of us now on the list just waiting now for the next shipment to land money wise it di=osent work out to bad its done then ready for any other power upgrades for the future
here the link
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ic-kit-11.html

KIP
Old 29 January 2007, 08:43 PM
SNAP-ON
Scooby Regular

Do you have to cut the front bumper about though to fit to a early classic and also you loose the foglights ???
Old 29 January 2007, 08:47 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Yes front bumper needs cutting back but you can still keep the foglights this was one of the questions i asked as i like the foglights been told you need to trim the bottom corner of the braket theirs a couple of threads with links to fitting guides that take you through this on the group buy thread
KIP
Old 31 January 2007, 10:37 PM
Shortyturbo
Scooby Regular

anyone got a guide to fitting a front mount to an early wrx?
want to see how much work is involved.

i was just gonna stick to top mount as im not planning on too much power, plus they look a lot esier to fit
Old 31 January 2007, 11:34 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shortyturbo
anyone got a guide to fitting a front mount to an early wrx?
want to see how much work is involved.

i was just gonna stick to top mount as im not planning on too much power, plus they look a lot esier to fit
have a look here buddie ive put all the info your gonna need on this group buy

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ic-kit-11.html

click on link
you will also need a cone filter theirs a link for them on their aswell

CHEERS KIP
Old 01 February 2007, 01:48 PM
320bhp
Scooby Regular

Unless your going to spend mega money on a front mount and do loads of trackdays and 1/4mile sprints, a front mount is a waste of time!! The flow rates on the cheap ones are s**t!!!! I'v just finished fitting an sti8 intercooler to my m/y94 sti and what a differance it makes with the right map!!! Its up to you but i'd stay clear of cheap frontmounts!!!
Old 01 February 2007, 03:48 PM
-AL-
Scooby Regular

I have a cheap FMIC and I would say its definatly worth it to upgrade, I had a crap angled top mount on my 93wrx. I get a bit of lag but boost better now. Am gettin a map when the apexi goes in so lag should be sorted. Fitting isnt too bad either, had to cut inner wing a bit an cut the bumper a lot but still kept the fogs. Im not an expert but i would say get a front mount as bigger surface area than a top mount too.
Old 01 February 2007, 05:39 PM
320bhp
Scooby Regular

As i said before the flow rates on cheap frontmounts are s**t!!! Most of the cores come from old aircon units!! Im sorry to tell you aswell, that you wont cure the lag with a remap!!!
Old 01 February 2007, 06:00 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 320bhp
As i said before the flow rates on cheap frontmounts are s**t!!! Most of the cores come from old aircon units!! Im sorry to tell you aswell, that you wont cure the lag with a remap!!!
Hi 320 when you say lag how long do you have to wait for turbo to kick in after coming off throtle wont the right dumpvalve set up help to cut this down a bit
From what i understand the lag is due to the longer route of pipes so not as direct as the top mount with the shorter pipes
if your running the smaller turbo that spools up quicker how noticable will the lag be
I do a lot of town and stop start driving so wont the frontmount reduce heatsoak
CHEERS KIP
Old 04 February 2007, 11:03 PM
320bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KIPS
Hi 320 when you say lag how long do you have to wait for turbo to kick in after coming off throtle wont the right dumpvalve set up help to cut this down a bit
From what i understand the lag is due to the longer route of pipes so not as direct as the top mount with the shorter pipes
if your running the smaller turbo that spools up quicker how noticable will the lag be
I do a lot of town and stop start driving so wont the frontmount reduce heatsoak
CHEERS KIP
Heat soak is'nt realy that much of a problem, with the right venting under the scoop to help airflow. Yes the lag comes from the extra length in pipe work from the intercooler, with all the scoobs i'v driven with fmic the lag varies between 1 to 2 maybe 3 seconds. Some people can live with it, but it does my head in! I cant coment on small turbos tho, all the ones i'v tried have been tdo5s! Hope this helps mate!
Old 04 February 2007, 11:37 PM
no1nutter
Scooby Regular

sorry guys but just had my fmic fitted and mapped by scoobyclinic and phook me, its awesome defo worth the dosh and the ability to brag 2 my m8s lol! i wud save up and get this dun , outstanding!
Old 05 February 2007, 07:33 PM
-AL-
Scooby Regular

I think mine definatly goes better too, all that extra cold air must be good
Old 05 February 2007, 09:46 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

I fitted a STi 4 intercooler to my 94 WRX ra.
It needed the original BOV hole sealed up, it needs 5mm trimmed from the manifold end, and you will need to buy a Samco hose kit for it TCS22. You will also need to knock up 2 new mounting brackets.

It took me an afternoon to do, but it works very well. It is a tight fit but I can still fit my STi strut brace.

However I only use this car for track days, so may go for the FMIC in the group buy, depending on delivery time and final price.
So, I may end up selling the STi 4 intercooler together with all the parts needed for a quick swap over.
Old 10 February 2007, 05:55 AM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by no1nutter
sorry guys but just had my fmic fitted and mapped by scoobyclinic and phook me, its awesome defo worth the dosh and the ability to brag 2 my m8s lol! i wud save up and get this dun , outstanding!

The FMIC or the Re-map?

Re-map has probably made the difference rather than FMIC.