Notices

Unidentified noise - front passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2007, 08:53 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unidentified noise - front passenger side

1999 type R - just got back from a long weekend trip away. Car went well no problems.

Went to go to work this morning and out of nowhere has appeared what best can be described as a noise sounding like ball bearing in a tin from the front passenger footwell. Only when the car is moving, seems worse reversing and turning wheel - like somthing is catching somewhere. Can't hear at speed only up to about 15mph. At first I thought it was something in the glovebox, but both boxes are empty.

Car runs well, no heaviness or anything unusual. But my wifes uses the car each day ferrying the kids around and I want to be sure its not dangerous.

Any advice appreciated. 75000 miles service due next week, so do i wait or book in early.
Old 05 March 2007, 09:04 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Could be the brake pad wear indicators. Its a metal tap that rubs on the dics and makes a tinny scrapping type noise. Worth a check to start with.
Old 05 March 2007, 09:14 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Could be that 'INSERT ITEM HERE' (eg £1 coin,marble,pen lid,malteser,key) that someone dropped on the floor in the back of the car .... there are vent tubes under the front carpet which exit at the rear of the centre cross member (under the front seats) that allow things to role up and down the front footwells without being seen when you accelerate and deccelerate. Just a thought