Notices

fuel guage not working

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2007, 11:04 PM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry fuel guage not working

right peeps today ive bought myself a 97 sti version4 after selling my wrx, i went to test drive it on saturday and it was brilliant, but today i noticed that when the dealer started the car up the guage was showing nothing, when i test drove it it had a quarter of a tank, so i told the dealer, and he had had the clocks out to put a mph converter on it, so he tried taking the plugs out and converter and nothing unless u only take out the rev counter plug which then sends the fuel guage right to the top connect the others and nothing works, so i got a bit knocked off the car and took it away, he said he would repair it if i took it back tomorrow, but its a 100mile round trip and time off work so i took the car with money off, one of my mates took a look and he said that he had wired the converter up wrong and sent a positive wire to a negative connection, but now the fuel guage doesnt work at all,
basically has anyone experienced this or know if i need a new set of clocks or if i could just replace the fuel guage bit of the clocks

any information at all would be great

cheers gordon
Old 05 March 2007, 11:47 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Are you saying that the gauge does now not go to full when you only take out the rev counter plug as the dealer did before?
Old 06 March 2007, 10:53 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Wink

My93WRX is like this and has been for 5 years. Fuel gauge normally reads 0 but occasionally goes up to quater of a tank. I'm just lazy and haven't bothered to get it looked at.
If you find a solution let me know.

Sorry i haven't been any help
Matt
Old 06 March 2007, 06:44 PM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

it only works and goes straight up to full if you unplug the rev counter
Old 06 March 2007, 06:50 PM
Scooby Senior

so the gauge does work.....

If you put a new gauge in, I cant see it working then either

Check the fuel sender, not sure if there is anything else in between sorry
Old 06 March 2007, 07:28 PM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

where abouts is the fuel sender? also can you just swap the fuel guage bit of the clocks over?
Old 06 March 2007, 11:27 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j7 gkk
it only works and goes straight up to full if you unplug the rev counter
Thats good as it means the gauge still functions in some way. The sender unit is in the boot under a little access hatch behind the drivers side rear seat. Firstly I'd check the wiring is connected in the boot and that the sender is OK with a ohm meter connected to the correct terminals before stripping the gauges down (which I am assuming can be replaced individually as they are mechanical ..... but I could be wrong)
Old 06 March 2007, 11:33 PM
chris25uk
Scooby Regular

gauges can be replace individually, had to get a new fuel and temp gauge for mine as i was silly and thought the needles just popped off while changing to silver dial faces, i had this problem with a ford focus. after taken the whole unit out i connected it all back up only for the fuel gauge to alwasy show half a tank no matter how much juice was in it, im not sure if i damaged the circit things on the back of the unit or what but i got hold of a second hand one, connected it all up and it worked fine. could it be a bad earth somewhere?
Old 07 March 2007, 12:03 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The gauges are electrical the sender is mechanical/electrical type float thing. You'll find it inside the tank.

Not the best pic, but if its a classic, remove the back seat, drivers side there is a cover, remove that an you'll find the top of the fuel pump assembly, you will be looking at this:

There's a wiring plug connected, if it's not then you're car runs by magic. I don't know for certain, as I'm not an auto electrician, but one of the wire's should eventually find it's way to the fuel gauge, being an electrical sender.

Fuel pump assembly:

The float is just visible to the left of the fuel pump. This is the mechanical part of the set up, it may be damaged/rod bent so not reading correctly?
Old 08 March 2007, 12:11 AM
j7 gkk
Scooby Regular

thanx for all the pics and info, today i went and got a set of clocks from scoobybits, they were the sti 1s so just to try i plugged in the new ones (wrx) and the fuel guage showed half which i thought was about right, so i then took the temp an fuel guages and swapped them round on the clocks plugged my original clocks in witht the new fuel and temp guage and they worked i checked the wiring to the fuel sender before i tried this so again thanx for the pics and info, just got to work out how to wire in the speed converter to make it read mph instead of kph