Notices

intercooler.... dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 03:54 AM
mafia_boyz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler.... dilemma

PLs give me some info on which would be best?

Top mounted or front mounted intercooler? is it thrue if i swap a a TMIC to a FMIC there would be more lag? but more power right?
Old 06 March 2007, 08:00 AM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

If you go front mount you will notice slightly more lag but if your new to scoobies you wont notice as much as someone who has been driving them for a while by fitting a front mount dosent give you more power but allows you to run more power more efficiently as inlet temps will be cooler a good mapper can reduce the lag by a good map it is only slight and you learn to drive accordingly

If you decide to go front mount I'm running a group buy check at this link and the links on the page Ive sourced all the fitting info and issues you may come across fitting

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ml#post6719934

KIP
Old 06 March 2007, 12:28 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

You'll find that those that sell FMIC's will tell you it's a must. However the consensus is that the STi TMIC is more than up to the job, unless you're after silly power.
Old 06 March 2007, 01:07 PM
mafia_boyz
Scooby Regular

but unlike UK the weather in malaysia.. is flipping hot... and heat rises to TMIC... so would it be better to be Front mounted? and i also heard that at high speed the air flow actually go past the scoop...
Old 06 March 2007, 01:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

even in the uk the top mount struggles check out jap performance mag from a coupl eof months ago.

FMIC is the only true upgrade worth having, unless its an early car with the smaller topmount.
Old 06 March 2007, 01:31 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
You'll find that those that sell FMIC's will tell you it's a must. However the consensus is that the STi TMIC is more than up to the job, unless you're after silly power.
Above is true to a point the sti is well up to the job thats why Subaru are still fitting them today I waid up which was the easiest to fit and the front mount won hands down unless your handy with spanners and a hammer the the top can be fitted not so easy on the pre 96 models due to having to weld up the dv hole ans re situate in another place but with the front mount the only disadvantage is having to cut the front bumper and if pre 96 the inner wing for pipe to come through cost wise the front mount can work out cheaper depending on were you source your top mount
Ive looked into both these even brought a sti 8 top mount with dv then decided the later option sold it and made £100 profit so a front mount for £95 seemed the way to go
If you decide to go the top mount scott has written the best guide to follow if you need a link to this let me know and ill post it up for you

whatever you decide theirs plenty of people that will advise you on here if you get stuck

KIP
Old 06 March 2007, 02:21 PM
mafia_boyz
Scooby Regular

how much is it for a decent set of FMIC, KIP? and if possible can you list me the advantages and dis advantages... cheers
Old 06 March 2007, 03:22 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

front mount group buy
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ic-kit-11.html

front mount fitting guide link
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...r-project.html

sti4/5 fitting guide link
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...er+fitting+wrx

sti 8 fitting guide link
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...0-classic.html

Hi need to know what model/year this is going on

The sti top mount and the front mount will both work well the top mount you may find at traffic lights or in traffic will suffer from heat soak but once moving again will cool down well so will only realy effect you at fast pull aways from sitting Their is talk that at certain speeds the air will skip over the scoop but havent looked into that to be sure with the top mount you have the advantage of keeping your airfilter box and with a good upgraded filter this will work well without upsetting your maff

the front mount to me seems easier for fitting but you may get some lag till the turbo spools up but this can be mapped out for the lag to be a minimum
you have to run a after market induction kit as long as you run the dry type this will reduce problems with the maff i have heard that the later maff is prone to more problems than the earlier one some see having to cut the bumper as a disadvantage but unless you want to spend well over a grand cutting the bumper dosent become an issue you also have to cut a hole in the inner wing to allow the pipe to go through it will all be in the links provided above
having decided which route you want to go it is stongly advised that you have your car mapped for safty sake and to get the best out your mods

Ive tried to be fair to both options but at the end of the day its down personal prefrence you can never do enough searches to wise yourself up and to make sure the mods you are doing are going to work with each other and not spending out on the wrong items and having to buy twice been new dont rush into anything untill youve wised up im still learning myself but with the help of others on here the learning prosses is much easier you dont get no bull $hit

KIP
Old 06 March 2007, 03:59 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I've just bought a front mount myself, I will say that the idea that air stops flowing through the scoop at certain speeds is false as far as I can tell. I tested it out by monitoring air pressures and charge temperatures and basically the faster you go the more intercooling you get - tested on private ground up to 130mph. The top mount design gives a lovely short boost circuit and is a masterpiece of packaging really.

I think what clinched it for me (i.e. going front mount instead of a better top mount) was when I looked at the process you had to go through to do an STi8 conversion on my MY98 classic - buying the thing in the first place, sorting out new mounting brackets, scoop and undertray, cutting down or moving the clutch reservoir, hammering bits of the bulkhead out of the way etc etc.

Nowadays with front mounts at £200-£300, which will fit late classics with no cutting, no ABS/aircon/foglight clearance problems and the only downside being the need for an induction kit, it just seems a no-brainer to me.
Old 07 March 2007, 03:46 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STi 3 Wagon 335 bhp on TMIC with temp guage probe located at TMIC to throttle body position.
Once warmed up and at normal operating temperature, doing a standing start and on the first run the temperature guage is off the clock at 69.9 deg C by 130 mph on the fist run and by 120 mph on the second run.
A GOOD QUALITY FMIC of proven performance will normally run at up to 12 deg C over ambient in similar conditions or better.