Notices

FMIC on classic

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2007, 11:37 PM
imprezered
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC on classic

I'm in the middle of fitting an FMIC on a classic. The pipework that came with the kit is "miles off". I've had to buy some extra silicone joints and will need to cut the formed pipe work just to get it to fit! Has anyone fitted one where the fog lights need to be "sacrificed" in order for the pipes to pass by? I have already carved the bumper quite significantly and didn't want to loose my fogs!

I'm sure that I can get it fitted OK but I was talking to a mate who said that the car would need to be re-mapped to make it run right. I know that there is more air in there to move but is this correct?

Last question, sorry! I've got the car car full decat, induction kit and eventually FMIC, what can I expect from a '96 WRX in terms of BHP and torque?

Thanks
Mick
Old 04 April 2007, 11:40 PM
imprezered
Scooby Regular

Default Additional info

It's also fitted with a TD05 turbo.
Old 04 April 2007, 11:51 PM
don81
Scooby Regular

270 more with remap. i have heard that you will need to remap after fitting a front mount As im having one fitted soon and i will be getting a remap. do you have a ecu chip to remap?
Old 05 April 2007, 12:07 AM
imprezered
Scooby Regular

I hadn't thought that a remap was necessary. I was told that a rolling road tune with someone like Scoobyclinic and an aftermarket manual boost control valve might do it. Any thoughts?
Old 05 April 2007, 01:10 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What make of FMIC or where did it come from?

The fuel requirements after fitting an FMIC are so different to that required with a TMIC that it would be unwise to run the car without having the AFRs checked and a listen for knock with proper DET cans.

It MAY be OK but failure to do this could result in terminal engine damage.

the problem you will face is that the 94 ECU is not remappable as such.
Old 05 April 2007, 01:16 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
the problem you will face is that the 94 ECU is not remappable as such.
i understand the ecutek early classic map software is being rolled out for use in teh next couple of months, so might not be an issue anymore, although i'm not sure exactly what years will now be covered
Old 05 April 2007, 01:24 AM
imprezered
Scooby Regular

I think I will get everything to fit but will leave the standard TMIC piped up. Can do without replacing the engine again!! I'll investigate the chamge with Scoobyclinic I think.

Thanks
Old 05 April 2007, 09:10 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

out of interest what fmic kit was it?
I just got a monster one and that needed a bit of cutting on the pipework to fit properly
Old 05 April 2007, 11:40 AM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

Have just fitted a AUTOBAHN88 on my00 classic uk what a ball ache! never again. Some of the cutting was different to kips and different to roofermans
Old 05 April 2007, 12:27 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

my monster was on a 93wrx, told cutting needed on inner wing (seems the norm) however also recommended later to get a narrower battery (evo) and to "bend" an aircon pipe. (after 1st attempt at fitting and then putting everything back as car is daily runner). Managed to get the pipe to the throttle body in on the #attempt, however the angles are all wrong so needed to cut the pipe and use samco connectors (not supplied) Also the dump valve take of points downwards towards the gearbox so doesnt give enough room for my dumpvalve so gonna have to sort that out as well. total ballache currently running rich due to a massive airleak in my tmic to turbo plastic thing and zilch power. Also have to cut back on the bottom bumper mountings as well to clear the pipework (without rubbing anyway)
Hoping I have all the bits needed to sort it out this weekend
Old 05 April 2007, 12:40 PM
imprezered
Scooby Regular

I can't remember what the make was, I bought it from ToTB last year but it seems that they are all very similar. I did the same as jaytc2003 i.e. kept getting it out and putting it away because the car was a daily runner.

I also carved the inner wing where the original induction kit entered the engine bay. This was a stupid mistake as I was trying to make the new pipework fit. I'm going to get a lasercut plate to fit over the enlarged hole to tidy it up.

My tip would be to cut the new pipework and add a Samco joint like jaytc2003 did, it won't make any difference to performance providing the clips have been tightened correctly.
Old 05 April 2007, 01:25 PM
-AL-
Scooby Regular

Was a mission to fit mine on my 93 classic, Its worth the hassle, i had to cut lots off bumper an cut inner wing. I was told it needs a few mods to fit early classics so I expected it. Also kept my fogs.
Old 05 April 2007, 02:39 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

its a pain though when you set out to do it and you find you havent got all of the bits to do the job. Especially for the cost of the kit
Old 05 April 2007, 06:44 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

My Hybrid FMIC fitted with ease on my Type R... Its alittle tight between the cambelt cover and radiator fan... but it clears...
I won mine on e-bay for £190quid 18months ago...
Old 05 April 2007, 07:32 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

THIS MAY HELP THE FITTING ISSUES ITS A AUTBAHN 88 HAVE SOURCED MOST THE THINGS NEEDED ONLY NEEDED ONE PIECE OF SAMCO EXTRA FOR THE CONVERSION TO THE EARLY CLASSIC AS MOST FRONT MOUNTS ARE MADE FOR THE LATER CLASSIC DIDDNT HAVE MANY MAJOR ISSUES FITTING

HOPE THIS HELPS
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...r-project.html

KIP
Old 05 April 2007, 10:15 PM
imprezered
Scooby Regular

Excellent set of instructions kips!! Do you have it in word format so that I can print it off.

Cheers
Old 05 April 2007, 11:40 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Originally Posted by imprezered
Excellent set of instructions kips!! Do you have it in word format so that I can print it off.

Cheers
thanks for the coment,
sorry havent got it in word format i printed a copy off the snet page then stopped it after the project as the pictures are needed to identify procedure
if you need any help just pm me or ask question on thread im adding a lower splitter to cover the underhang of the intercooler next gonna add that to the thread aswell

KIP