Fitting turbo

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2007, 07:05 PM
RBWill
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting turbo

Hi all.

I'm in the process of upgrading the P1 at the mo and was wondering if anybody knows of on here or another site of a guide for changing the turbo. as far as i know the one on the P1 is standard stuff and I have a MD321H from turbo dynamics to go in there. which came with a few adaptors for the oil feed. i have been told where 2 of them go (can put up pics if it will help anyone) but there is one hole not filled. this hole also appears to be empty on the turbo on the car 9assuming there is just a bung in there. if you look at it its the hole on the left side in the middle secion of the turbo. is it just a case of getting a bung for the new tubo too?

any help much appreciated
Cheers
Old 15 May 2007, 08:14 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures would definitely help. I recently wrote one, if not two short turbo swap guides in the last couple of weeks to help out a couple of Scoobynetters who were doing the same job. Have a search around, they're very recent.
Old 15 May 2007, 09:17 PM
RBWill
Scooby Newbie

ok here are a few pics, in the meantime i will haver a look for your other topics. cheers.

here is one of the turbo front on

this one shows where my friend thinks two of the fixings go. are they correct?

and this is the hole yet to be filled? there is also another one on the bottom but i believe there is aready something attached to this one on the car.

thankyou

Last edited by RBWill; 15 May 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: wrong pic
Old 16 May 2007, 05:20 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK this is what I know of my MY98 WRX which is close enough to yours to be the same layout AFAIK. Also assuming your new turbo is a straight drop in replacement and not 'twisted' or needing different up and downpipes.

If you are standing in front of your car with the bonnet up and looking at the engine bay, your turbo is to the left, on the driver's side. The entry to the compressor is straight in from the front and the compressor outlet points out to the right. On the back of the turbo, the exhaust housing entry if from directly underneath, and the outlet with the turbine wheel and wastegate showing are on the back.

Looking at the turbo like this, if you now look at the core, there is a threaded hole in the top which takes a banjo bolt oil feed. On the right hand side of the core (passenger side) are the two holes for water, bottom is feed, top is return to the header tank, banjo bolts again. On the bottom is the oil drain which is a simple metal drain pipe on a two bolt flange.

The left hand side (driver's side) of the core should be plugged up. It is not used unless you rearrange your plumbing.

However, in your picture it looks like you only have one water hole on each side of the core, so perhaps it is 'crossflow' and you need to do a little alteration?
Old 16 May 2007, 05:29 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

is that fitting in the snail part PLASTIC?

id change that for a metal one if so, it gets a bit hot in that area..

martyn
Old 16 May 2007, 05:47 PM
RBWill
Scooby Newbie

im fairly sure the bit on the snail is metal. dunno y turbo dynamics would put in a part that would fail anyway.
thanks for the help silentrunning i will get and check if it is a crossflow.