Whats mods for 400bhp

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2007, 01:54 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats mods for 400bhp

I was thinking....

Do I sell up and buy a Supra or something similar and go for more power, but then again I luv my scoob and in my opinion prefer the looks compared to lots of other cars, its just the power! So it got me thinking, what engine mods would be needed to take my car up to say a target of 400bhp??

I have a MY99 WRX (280bhp version standard) with the following mods;

VF29 turbo
Full Afterburner Vortex Decat Exhaust System
P1 STi 6 TMIC (with the good Y piece pipe & relevant hosting)
Simota Panel Filter
HKS SSQV BOV
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
+ a few other bits n bobs

Im currently running circa 320-330bhp and its nice. very nice infact.... just i want more

What would I need to get to 400?

I have no idea what my standard internals are capable of, the gearbox etc etc... this is where you guys / and your advice come in

Or should I just 'sack off' my idea if its pointless and buy a car with bigger potential?

Old 24 May 2007, 02:50 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

standard internals I imagine would be on the limit at your projected power level, so you would be better getting forged internals. The gearbox, thats a different story, some are okay some break depends on driving style, hard gear changes etc. Clutch would probably need to be uprated though.

you would also need bigger injectors (imagine yours would be 440cc), and a bigger turbo (a tdo5 /20g will get you close but will be running at max capability) try speaking with Lateral or Scoobyclinic for advice on the turbo as both supply their own spec turbo's which are highly rated.
Old 24 May 2007, 03:12 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by terence
I was thinking....

Do I sell up and buy a Supra or something similar and go for more power, but then again I luv my scoob and in my opinion prefer the looks compared to lots of other cars, its just the power! So it got me thinking, what engine mods would be needed to take my car up to say a target of 400bhp??

I have a MY99 WRX (280bhp version standard) with the following mods;

VF29 turbo
Full Afterburner Vortex Decat Exhaust System
P1 STi 6 TMIC (with the good Y piece pipe & relevant hosting)
Simota Panel Filter
HKS SSQV BOV
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
+ a few other bits n bobs

Im currently running circa 320-330bhp and its nice. very nice infact.... just i want more

What would I need to get to 400?

I have no idea what my standard internals are capable of, the gearbox etc etc... this is where you guys / and your advice come in

Or should I just 'sack off' my idea if its pointless and buy a car with bigger potential?

My inclination would be to sack your idea mate. You're at a point where diminishing returns are going to start to operate. i.e. to get to the magic 400 reliably from a 2.0ltr non-sti engine, you're going to have to spend a lot of money! You'll also probably end up with a car that is not quite as satisfying in the real world due to poorer boost threshold and greater lag.

Would consider upgrading the car, might work out cheaper.

Give David at Api a ring though, I'm sure he'll have a few suggestions!
Ns04
Old 24 May 2007, 04:41 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You'll also probably end up with a car that is not quite as satisfying in the real world due to poorer boost threshold and greater lag.

Ns04
have you ever drove a 2 litre 400 bhp car ?

terence

i was in the same position a year and a half ago all be it with a a bugeye with 30k miles on the clock

I went for a

aps intercooler
650 injectors
rcm manifold
rcm p18 gt35 hybrid turbo

the car has made over 400 bhp on some rollers, but the figure i quote is 386 as that was at scooby clinic which is a good comparison to most

the car is a very different animal to the 320bhp i had before and i have had loads of fun in the last 10k ( hard weekend miles)... when a car can brake traction with its power is something to be experienced

but 17 months later I am looking at a rebuild as i do not think the car will carry on the way it is and my luck will run out shortly

also see that the car is only used on the weekend as I would not want to rely on it as my only means of transport

its your call, it may pop 3 weeks down the line... best advise i can give is choose your mapper well, det would be the kiss of death to your cast pistons at this level
Old 25 May 2007, 09:17 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
have you ever drove a 2 litre 400 bhp car ?

Rich, Yes I have and it was very impressive. The boost threshold was higher than in my 320bhp Scooby though and there was more lag (just as their was when I upgraded from 220 to 320bhp) - the loss of responsiveness wasn't as ruinous as I had been led to believe though.

HOWEVER,

The poster has indicated he'd probably consider getting a stronger base car rather than spending lots to get the WRX up to scratch.

With no disrespect intended to you, You've had a good result, but you sound like you've always had the finances there to cover things if your engine/gearbox went pop. IMHO, it's only fair to assume others haven't unless they state to the contrary.

If a mapper comes on here and say that 400bhp can be safely extracted from a WRX engine and transmission and that the car will remain reliable as an everyday driver then I'll quite happily retract my comments.

In this instance, I don't think the risk outweighs the benefits.....especially if the poster is happy with the car in its current spec.

Ns04
Old 25 May 2007, 09:56 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

no problem with any of that

when i was thinking of the above many people told me it would be laggy, much less " satisfying" to drive

all from people who didn't have a clue what they were talking about, and if it wasn't for talking to people like RCM and Bob I would have never have done it

a 2 litre 400bhp wrx is a stunning car to drive, it may not be as quick from place A to place b as a super light weight vf35 tarmac spec rally car, what is does have is huge power for short bursts, and if we are all honest this is the only real way we can drive these cars with out handing over our license's

yes the car is limmited, but less satisfying couldn't be further from the truth
and I have had 210, 280, 320 and 390

if this is the right way to go is another matter - theres a few guys on here with a simular spec to mine and i can't think of any who would say they wish they never done it, may be im wrong

bang on about reliable power all you want as you have a point that I would not argue with and i think i made my self clear on this, but don't dismiss the cars asssume abilities
Old 25 May 2007, 10:04 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Off the top of my head

Turbo £1k
Injectors £350
Headers £350
FPR £100
Samco inlet hose £150 - £200?
6 speed gearbox / linkage £2k
Clutch £400
Remap £300 - I assume you have license

+ the labour
Old 25 May 2007, 10:05 AM
terence
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, cheers for the replies

I understand both points of view - as both had already been going through my mind....

400 would be great out of my car, and finances arn't a problem, I have the money I was just wondering if I would be not wasting it but as Ns04 says maybe better putting it towards something bigger?!

Its a really tough decision! Heres my story, pull up a chair

Im a huuuuuge scooby fan, always have, always will be! As most on here I luv them, but this is my second one now and as much as I thought I'd be content when you break the 300bhp barrier, after a few months Im sooo not - you always want more lol!

Now on the other hand im also a huuuuge fan or RX-7's, and I recently nearly purchased a very nice 360bhp one (Clicky), the deal was all but done until I discovered how I couldnt cope with how small / compact they were inside the cabin (being 6ft,4" + a RX-7 cabin = very limited movement lol).... so that was the end of that!

But it got me thinking why am I selling the scoob, looks wise imo I think there the nuts, so why dont I just go for more power? Which in turn got me wondering, as much as id luv to, is there much point, would I feel much difference? Would my car take a target of say circa 400bhp ok and would the outlay (£) be unjustifiable compared to selling up and investing in something with a stronger foundation for bigger power ... the usual stuff which goes through our minds

Which leads me to my current situation... I just cant make up my mind wether to take the scooby further or sell up and this time look for a toyota supra tt manual?!

How much quicker is a 400bhp scooby than say my 320ish one? Is there a big difference? My scoobs a weekend drive, so not overly fussed about reliability, saying that I obviously dont want it to brake down constantly

What power supra would I need to be visibly quicker than a circa 400bhp classic scoob??

Lots of questions for anyone to get there teeth into

Old 25 May 2007, 10:09 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If you use a newage STI as a base then 400 HP is much easier to obtain
Old 25 May 2007, 10:18 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
If you use a newage STI as a base then 400 HP is much easier to obtain
very true and probably the best move in your position
Old 25 May 2007, 10:32 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Reading your posts Rich, is your car still on the OE gearbox?
Old 25 May 2007, 10:35 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Off the top of my head

Turbo £1k MD321H 1300.00
Injectors £350 OK
Headers £350 450.00 for ones that work
FPR £100 nearer 200.00 for a good one
Samco inlet hose £150 - £200? @ 160.00
6 speed gearbox / linkage £2k OK - but wait until the old box breaks.
Clutch £400 OK
FMIC Hybrid 450.00
Remap £300 - I assume you have license A bit cheaper maybe.

+ the labour
PLUS: A forged pistons - steel rods engine rebuild.........2500.00

David APi
Old 25 May 2007, 10:37 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

as we speak a ppg is going in

OE was still fine but as a new "built" engine is planned asap Im hoping that the OE wouldn't have coped

remember mine is a new age car which seem to have a better rep than the classics

David API can probably tell you what condidtion it was in
Old 25 May 2007, 11:31 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
no problem with any of that

when i was thinking of the above many people told me it would be laggy, much less " satisfying" to drive

all from people who didn't have a clue what they were talking about, and if it wasn't for talking to people like RCM and Bob I would have never have done it

a 2 litre 400bhp wrx is a stunning car to drive, it may not be as quick from place A to place b as a super light weight vf35 tarmac spec rally car, what is does have is huge power for short bursts, and if we are all honest this is the only real way we can drive these cars with out handing over our license's

yes the car is limmited, but less satisfying couldn't be further from the truth
and I have had 210, 280, 320 and 390

if this is the right way to go is another matter - theres a few guys on here with a simular spec to mine and i can't think of any who would say they wish they never done it, may be im wrong

bang on about reliable power all you want as you have a point that I would not argue with and i think i made my self clear on this, but don't dismiss the cars asssume abilities
All the best to you mate: the SN community needs individuals like you who are prepared to see what the cars are really capable of

Wasn't so long ago when people were saying that anything over 300 on UK internals and it was bye, bye engine, gearbox etc... Now, 320 is a common stage two upgrade!

In light of the poster's comments below, I agree with you: he should upgrade to an Sti which sorts the engine and gearbox issues and makes 400bhp more easily attainable.

If I had the dough and wanted 400bhp I think I'd be looking at the MD321H with supporting mods....from what I've read it's a 400bp turbo with spool similar to the VF28!! Best of both worlds!

Ns04