GT30R Outlet pipe diameter

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2007, 03:17 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default GT30R Outlet pipe diameter

This one's for the big boys.

I'm just planning the pipe work for the rotated turbo setup. Please can some one tell me the diameter of the outlet from the turbo and what diameter the pipework should be from turbo to intercooler.

I have reversed my inlet manifold and am planning to run the turbo outlet pipe under the manifold where the intake used to be. Its a MY99 car so I now have less room as the higher side on the intake manifold now resides on the other side of the engine bay.

Where have others run the outlet to intercooler pipe?

Any pics also appreciated.

Here's a pic of my engine bay with reversed intake manifold.

Daz
Old 25 May 2007, 04:50 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently doing the same on my 99, the only difference being it is a 30/40r. On the 30/40 it's a64mm (2.5 inch) outlet which is handy as all of my old intercooler pipework is the same.

I have rotated the compressor cover so that the outlet passes under the inlet manifold where the original air intake would have gone too. It's tight but you can free up some room moving a few things.

First, ditch the original fuel rails and make up your own (see you've already done this)
Replace the hard water return to the header tank with some hose and you can route it another way
Grind down the lugs on the manifold that the fuel and water pipes used to bolt to
Relocate the power steering resevoir

Then give it a wash, that things a disgrace mate.
Old 25 May 2007, 07:39 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure it can’t go over the top? relocate the coil etc and if you rotate the compressor housing enough it should make it
Old 25 May 2007, 08:20 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meant to ask, do you have manifold spacers?
Old 25 May 2007, 08:33 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Depends which compressor cover you use. The .70 a/r is 63mm and the smaller one is .54mm iirc
Old 25 May 2007, 08:51 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Steven beat me too it, either way, with correct rotation of the cover and a 45deg Samco you are under the manifold nicely.

Andrew...
Old 25 May 2007, 08:53 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

As a matter of interest, I can see you've moved the header tank tothe offsize turret, but which tank are you using?

Andrew...
Old 25 May 2007, 10:13 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AndrewC
Steven beat me too it, either way, with correct rotation of the cover and a 45deg Samco you are under the manifold nicely.

Andrew...
No you are not, not with a rotated phase 2 manifold.
Old 25 May 2007, 11:45 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Playsatan, firstly I'm sorry I'll wash it straight away. Secondly I do have manifold spacers but i have had to take them off as the throttle body would clash with the bonnet with them on.

Andrew, the header tank is my old MY99 one. Nothing has been changed on it, well except a lick of paint. Just made up some brackets and it fits a treat. Couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

Paul, care to elaborate?

Daz
Old 25 May 2007, 03:58 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'd be interested in the explanation of that aswell, works on my rotated MY98 manifold, I know there is less space under the MY99 manifold when rotated but there should still be enough room.

I thought you may have been using a later newage header tank.

Andrew...
Old 25 May 2007, 06:00 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I think, Alan Garrod only managed to get a 54mm pipe under his rotated phase 2 manifold, and thats with spacers. The gap is considerably smaller, hence why mine goes over the top.
Old 26 May 2007, 12:28 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

It's not rocket science, the phase 2 manifold is only raised on one side, the other side has the coil on it, when you rotate it that ends up on the turbo side of the engine, so you lose lots of space.
Old 26 May 2007, 12:45 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

I've had the inlet manifold off today and experimented with pipe of various diameter. I definately cannot use my manifold spacers because if i do use these I cannot close the bonnet. I have a 60mm piece of pipe that without spacers has no chance of fitting. I have a 45mm diameter pipe that fits perfectly but I am assuming that this is way too small.

So my choices are limited. I can't go over the top as I can't relocate the coil pack.

So I can either use a piece of silicon hosing that will squash into shape under the manifold and still be the right diameter either end.

Or my other option is to rotate the compressor housing and route the turbo outlet past the drivers side rocker cover. Not sure if the inner wing needs cutting for this though. This is MartyP1's car recently completed by RCMS (sorry for pinching the pic Marty). That has been done this way.

My prefered option is under the inlet manifold. So my questions are. Would a pipe reduced to 45mm to fit under the inlet be too restrictive?

Or is a piece of 54mm silicon that the inlet manifold squashes a feasible option?

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Daz

Last edited by dazdavies; 26 May 2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 26 May 2007, 01:00 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I would experiment with going over the top with different compressor cover angles, or do as per RCMS offering and go "round the back". I wouldn't bother with trying to go under the manifold, it's what we did years ago, but it's overated.
Old 26 May 2007, 08:14 AM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
I've had the inlet manifold off today and experimented with pipe of various diameter. I definately cannot use my manifold spacers because if i do use these I cannot close the bonnet. I have a 60mm piece of pipe that without spacers has no chance of fitting. I have a 45mm diameter pipe that fits perfectly but I am assuming that this is way too small.

So my choices are limited. I can't go over the top as I can't relocate the coil pack.

So I can either use a piece of silicon hosing that will squash into shape under the manifold and still be the right diameter either end.

Or my other option is to rotate the compressor housing and route the turbo outlet past the drivers side rocker cover. Not sure if the inner wing needs cutting for this though. This is MartyP1's car recently completed by RCMS (sorry for pinching the pic Marty). That has been done this way.

My prefered option is under the inlet manifold. So my questions are. Would a pipe reduced to 45mm to fit under the inlet be too restrictive?

Or is a piece of 54mm silicon that the inlet manifold squashes a feasible option?

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Daz
Hi Daz,

What size Manifold spacers have you got?

Mocom racing can make spacers in any size you choose so maybe you may have enough clearance to raise the inlet 3-4 mm giving enough clearance for a 2" pipe. (have you thought of having a bonnet bulge )

I checked my Turbo and the outlet is 52mm Internal Diameter so definately would not use anything smaller than the turbo outlet, my pipework is 62mm to the intercooler & 76mm for intercooler to TB.

Am sure I have seen cars with oval hard pipes under the Manifold, which I would prefer over a long length of silicone, can't remember if the manifolds were reversed or not.

Think I agree with Zen though, would try "Round the Back" as the pipework will be slightly shorter and you won't have to run any potentially restrictive pipework. (also if you find the GT30 is not man enough you will have to change it again)

P.s My 2.5 Lump arrived this week. can't wait!!
Old 26 May 2007, 10:41 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Ironically they are 10mm that I sourced from Zak at Mocom.

There is very little room there indeed. I might have to revisit the manifold thing at a later date.

Think I'll try the RCMS method first.

Daz
Old 26 May 2007, 10:50 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Get the compressor housing at the right angle run a 90deg take of and it will work going over the top of the manifold, even if you are running the larger compressor housing on the gt30r, and that way you don’t run the piping between two hot spots.
Old 26 May 2007, 11:59 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

YHPM Daz, maybe a solution to your probs