Notices

Am I being stupid?? And Do I need a new Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 08:30 AM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I being stupid?? And Do I need a new Turbo??

As if I didn't have enough problams with my new purchase, its started to kick oil out of all kinds of places.
I took it out for a quick blast up the road yesterday to see if my boost/Mapping problem had somehow magically sorted itself out and when I got back I poped the bonnet and noticed a few things.
Firstly there was a light smoke coming from two pipes going into the inlet - they look like breather pipes, but if some one can confirm it would be appreciated.
Also the BOV is spitting out a bit of oil when it purges - Which I can only assume comes from a shafted Turbo seal ??
So my question is, A) is my turbo more than likely shafted, B) is there supposed to be a light smokey flow of air from these "Breathers" and c) If the turbo is shafted, whats the VF43 turbo like compared to my TD05 I currently have (As there is one for sale on here!)

Pic of Engine bay where probs are occuring!

Cheers in advance

Mark

Last edited by jr758774c; 13 June 2007 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to put in pic....Doh
Old 13 June 2007, 08:39 AM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

When the engine is running if you take the oil filler off does smoke come out of there??
Old 13 June 2007, 08:44 AM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

Nope - Haven't done it on purpose to check, but you can't see any traces of smoke from there when the engine's running
Old 13 June 2007, 09:23 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they are breathers.. a small amount of oil vapour is normal.. (obviously difficult to say how much is coming out).

you might want to pipe them off to a catch can or just vent them over the back of the engine and block the holes in the inlet as that oil will be reducing the efficency of the intercooler and reducing the ron of the mix.

Also worth checking as I believe from antoher thread you have a 2.5, worth checking what has been done with the second breather / balance pipe connection.

Simon
Old 13 June 2007, 09:37 AM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

I'll try blocking off the holes and redirecting the pipes. As for the Second Breather/Balance pipe....Err.... I'm a complete Schmuk with Scoobs at the moment, as this is the first real time I've touched them mechanically so not sure which pipe you're talking about or what it should be connected to! Other Jap's not a prob, But just learning the ways of the Scoobs so be gentle
Old 13 June 2007, 12:05 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I believe from the other thread you have a 2.5 short engine.. if it is the EJ257 then there is a second hole in the top of the block in front of the usual crank breather.. if you follow the pipe bottom of the two breather pipes you have arrowed it goes to a large T piece, then one pipe goes to the inlet manifold and the pvcs valve and the other to the top of the block where the gasses breather out.. just in front of that and below the original phase 1 cross pipe (assume the original has been used) is another breather / balance pipe connection.. if you cannot see it due to the water cross pipe then it is either blocked off or you have an older ej25 block whcih didn't have it.. either way no need to worry about it.. if you can see the second hole then it needs to be blocked etc..

Sorry if confusing you.. can expand further if needed.

Simon
Old 13 June 2007, 01:52 PM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

OK well that puts my mind at reletive ease about the vapour from the breathers. But does anyone have any ideas about the Oil from the BOV??? I don't know of any other way oil can get into the intercooler pipework and BOV?? Is it Turbo seals or am I being over zealous??
Old 13 June 2007, 02:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the oil vapour from the breathers get sucked into the inlet pipe, through the turbo where it pressurises it in the intercooler, inlet manifold etc.. and the engine consumes it.. you lift off and the air with the oil vapour in comes out the dump valve.. ie. it is a symphtom of the breathers breathing into the inlet.. remove and the problem will stop it.

Obviously I cannot tell how much the engine is breathing and you should ensure the oil level is not too high which would also cause excessive oil to come from the breathers..

Simon
Old 13 June 2007, 02:52 PM
jr758774c
Scooby Regular

You, good sir are a legend!!!
I'll keep you posted about that Pm!!

cheers