Notices

POWER UPGRADE MY98 PPP

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2007, 07:15 PM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POWER UPGRADE MY98 PPP

Have a MY98 wagon (May 98) with PPP (or WR Sport as it was known then). The car was also fitted with the quickshift and the prodrive exhaust as part of the pcakage and should have produced 240ish bhp and around the same tourque. Now its 91,500 miles old and I'm looking to refresh its potential. Car is well maintained with FSSH from new, and I do not know what its putting out now, but assume after so long its likely to be less. Goal is a spirited daily driver.

I'm not looking for high figures, but hopefully around the 270 - 280ish mark. First recommendation seems to be to get the exhaust sorted. What's best for these -sport cat down pipe and decat centre, or the other way around? Which is easier at MOT time? I am street parked in London so can't be dealing with changing pipes once a year. Now the noise issue (baby no. 1 looming), I don't want a howler and quite like the noise I am currently getting from the prodrive back box. Is there a 'more mature' backbox that could work with this power in mind.

Secondly, what about the ECU. This has the prodrive ECU (can't recall if this was a remap or a reaplcemnet ECU?) so can this ECU be worked with? I presume it will need a remap after the exhaust mods to get the best out of it??

The other option I was looking at was fuel pump / new injectors, but will these really be necessary for my goal?

Lastly, is the milegae an issue for internals? It does suffer the dreaded piston knock, but as I am reliably informed this isn't major issue for these engines.

All advice gratefully received, for depsite the vast amount of information on here I am still confused on the ECU issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 22 July 2007, 12:02 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ecu cannot be remapped no..

replacement aftermarket one required.

exhaust would see a reasonable increase in response and get up and go etc..

You wouldn't need to change the injectors but a walbro fuel pump would be worth fitting just as a refresh.

Mileage is not directly a problem.. I have an engine with 200k on it as my spare..

Simon
Old 22 July 2007, 08:21 PM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

Cheers, so it appears to be a one way street with the Apexi Power FC for this model car. Seems ECUtek isn't compatible.

If I fit a 3" system with sport cat down pipe and decatted mid (or vice versa), and don't touch the ECU what will happen to the car? ie will it run rich or will the PPP ECU 'adapt' to the changes?

All help appreciated.
Old 23 July 2007, 06:04 PM
Rustle73
Scooby Regular

bttt - can anyone help on my exhaust question?