Notices

STI5 + Hyperflow TMIC = What Undertray?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2007, 02:46 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI5 + Hyperflow TMIC = What Undertray?

Hey folks, fluffy is having a Hyperflow Top Mount Intercooler fitted at the moment and obviously I want to maximise the efficiency of this upgrade . The standard straight intercooler was on and the matching undertray. I haven't seen with my own 2 eyes if there is any size difference between the 2 but I am assuming that there is in surface face area at least?

Will the current intercooler undertray fit at all? The current undertray makes a seal within the actual OE intercooler if you follow me so I am guessing that it may be too deep to fit properly with the hyperflow anyway.

I have a STI7 scoop fitted too, not that it is important, just saying. Do any of you have the same combo (or knowledge about this) and if so what he you done undertray-wise to ensure max benefits from using the Hyperflow?

Cheers,

Nick .
Old 22 July 2007, 03:06 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to ensure that you make use of the larger area otherwise you are not taking full benefit, have to say aftermarket top mounts are not as good as the std new age Sti so be prepared.

cheers

bob
Old 22 July 2007, 09:08 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. As with so many things when at the tuners, I may have made a rash decision!

I guess I will have to wait and see if the Hyperflow classic fits properly with the current undertray for myself.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 01 August 2007, 08:21 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Just an update and another question or 2 please guys. Since these seem to be a rare addon for classics on here I thought I would spam some pictures up on here:

Now, hopefully the last pic shows the height at the top of the engine bay. Even with the rubber off, the standard STI undertray could not be used as the 4mm or so metal lip around the front would damage the IC if the bonnet was shut properly. This meant that she was ecutek'd etc with no undertray at all in place sadly. It is easy enough to dremel away the lip. Anyway, after some juggling, I managed to get the undertray to sit on top of the IC where it sits when the bonnet is down and marked out fairly accurately where the undertray is blocking, regardless of the lip:

Now, this presented me with a few options.

1. dremel that area on the undertray and make as perfect a fit as possible, leaving all sides just a fraction within the main IC surface, and use the usual thin strip draught excluder between the two.
2. Get a Zerosports intercooler undertray. Now, these have splitters built in for optimal airflow, but have a metal seal instead of the usual rubber one on the OE tray. No problem, once again dremel-tastic etc.

Option 2 tempts me tbh as I have a larger scoop anyway so the splitter could be useful. However, the splitters present a problem due to the fact that are built to fit on that slightly smaller surface area, meaning that I can't cut the sides away of the splitters will come off too! Dave Hendry recommended that I look into how much bigger a STI7 undertray/ intercooler is over my OE STI5 ones and go for the STI7 Zerosports one if I can get away with it.ZERO/SPORTS Impreza is what I am looking at.

Sooo, after all that the questions are:

Would you modify the OE undertray as well as poss and slap that on or get a Zerosports one complete with splitter(s) and mildly mod as required?

Is the STI7 undertray/Intercooler a lot bigger than the surfece area shown in the pics above?

If anyone knows by tomorrow morning that would be perfect as I want to order one tomorrow and fit on my day off on Friday.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the waffle .

Nick.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 01 August 2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:29 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Really cheeky bump before bedtime . Night night folks .
Old 02 August 2007, 10:13 PM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

Hmmm i have ver4 + hyperflow + large scoop + splitter and all i had to do was trim the rubber to get a tight seal. Its slightly smaller than hyperflow but to me a better seal was more important.

IMO from what i have read a good seal is v important to ensure all the pressure from the scoop goes where u want it - thru the cooler.

Another option is to lower the intercooler slightly as its on thick rubber washers...I used to have the IC tilt mod but had to remove to have the hyperflow fit.

I have used a zerosport - its made of SS so its not an easy job cutting etc. And u will need to cut alot off imo + its the wrong shape.

I reckon the later trays are also too big.

What i would do is use your existing tray / modify / cut to size and use maybe foam rubber to get a tight seal
Old 02 August 2007, 10:17 PM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

Its pretty easy to fashion a splitter to fit to your existing tray - well thats what i have done from a light alloy.

I would say the hyperflow is superior to a ver 8 sti cooler. Being bar and plate it should flow better. It is about 50% bigger. And pretty sure its heavier as well.

I remember reading somewhere on here Litchfield put one on the 25 and gained a few horses.

For me tuned it gained about 15 whp - so 20hp at the fly ?
Old 02 August 2007, 10:26 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Gah, the Hyperflow sits right up against the standard undertray on mine, physically pressing it up against the bonnet, this without the rubber attached at all. I dremeled it tonight quickly and got a pretty good fit, removing the metal front and side lips off it and cutting back the front and sides to get more of the IC. Saying this though, even with some extra bolts to pull the undertray off actually rubbing the IC, it is still awfully close. The closest I had was 3-5mm daught excluder which I ran around the front/sides and this had been destroyed after only a 10 minute run lol. What foam would handle the TMIC movement when it is only about 3-5mm between tray and IC.

Remember this isn't the Hyperflow TMIC for the blobeye's etc, it is specifically for the classics and is a smaller unit. After I get back from the mechanics tomorrow I will bore you guys and put up a pic of my dremeled one and we can deliberate from there .

I have actually ordered a Zerosports STI7 GDB-A/B Coolaction II plate today since this seemed like new territory on here. They seem to sit flat, unlike the OE tray, which give me more options for rubber/foam imo and they are aluminium now. I have a friend that is a TIG/MIG welder and is willing to help me try bodging it on, but it would be bloody useful to know if the any of the screwholes line up first! The delivery time from DH is about 3 weeks currently .

cheers,

Nick .

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 02 August 2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Can't type for toffee tonight.......
Old 14 December 2008, 10:28 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Interested if the OP is still on the site and can give an update on what he did?