Notices

Leaky injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2007, 02:58 PM
volksuru
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky injectors?

I have a 1996 EJ 22 motor from a legacy in my VW camper. Its been running great for well over a year.

Recently, if I leave it overnight it floods on starting. If, before stopping the engine I disconnect the fuel pump power to bleed down the fuel pressure it starts fine the next day (after connecting fuel pump again of course!)

I suspect the injectors are leaking slightly when left under pressure. is this common on these engines?

Will the injectors/fuel rail/ fuel reg from another car fit? i was thinking from an ej20T as lots of people swap the stock injectors for bigger ones and I might be able to blag the old ones cheap!

Cheers.

Simon.
Old 23 July 2007, 03:05 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by volksuru
I have a 1996 EJ 22 motor from a legacy in my VW camper. Its been running great for well over a year.

Recently, if I leave it overnight it floods on starting. If, before stopping the engine I disconnect the fuel pump power to bleed down the fuel pressure it starts fine the next day (after connecting fuel pump again of course!)

I suspect the injectors are leaking slightly when left under pressure. is this common on these engines?

Will the injectors/fuel rail/ fuel reg from another car fit? i was thinking from an ej20T as lots of people swap the stock injectors for bigger ones and I might be able to blag the old ones cheap!

Cheers.

Simon.
Most common cause of this is the lower injector O-rings failing.
Old 23 July 2007, 03:17 PM
volksuru
Scooby Newbie

Is that the O ring between the injector and the head, or are you talking about something internal to the injector?

One thing that puzzles me is that if one injector had failed it should still start and run on 3 until the failed one leans up enough to run. For all four to fail would be too much of a coincidence?
Old 23 July 2007, 04:00 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

The o-ring which seals the injector to the fuel rail feed into the bottom of the manifold.

Could also be an injector sticking open slightly, does it seem rough or smell of fuel when idling?

Have you tried putting some injector cleaner through it?
Old 23 July 2007, 04:46 PM
volksuru
Scooby Newbie

Once its running it runs lovely and smooth.

I have not tried injector cleaner, I had thought that if an injector is damaged or sticking then cleaning it might be a waste of time? Or does that stuff really work?

Cheers.

Simon.