Notices

Replacing the standard ECU to allow mapping

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2007, 03:03 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the standard ECU to allow mapping

With having a MY98 Impreza I am being "forced" to look at replacing the standard ECU to allow mapping.

I realise there are many ECU's on the market but I would ideally be looking for one that would do away with the MAF to allow fitting of an APS CAK or similar cold air feed system.

What ECU's do you have that allows this kind of induction set up? How much was it and did that include fitting and mapping?

I am sure this has been asked many times before but I have tried to use the search function and cant find the answers I am looking for.

All help greatly appretiated.
Old 25 July 2007, 03:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the APS CAK still uses the MAF.. the 98 maf sensor is fairly robust and very very rarely fail.. assuming the mods are not mega and include a large turbo (Garrett GT30R for example) which can create maf issues or running enough power to max out the maf which is arounf the 450bhp point then going without a maf is not essential.

I would recommend an Apexi PowerFC but you ideally want view points from users not a supplier and user

Simon
Old 25 July 2007, 03:38 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon
See this is where getting info from someone who knows is a big help as clearly the info I have read before posting this has left me a little mixed up and confused.

My original plan was a PFC and if the MAF is good to 450bhp than thats fine by me, I was aiming for anywhere between 350 and 400bhp.

My aim is to gather all the parts and have them all fitted and ECU mapped in one hit as I am sure you can imagine it is a little expensive to get off the Isle of Man to have the work done as there is nowhere here to carry it out. Tell a lie, I could have it fitted here but not set up.

Could you then confirm what I would be looking to purchase to reach around 400bhp, I have my list but as I said I am obviously a little confused about what I need to do.
Old 25 July 2007, 03:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

although back tracking slightly, the UK / Euro maf maxs nearer 400 as it is mounted in a smaller tube but should be fine for your intension and are also not prone to failure.

Also I am not sure the APS CAK is available for 98.. only ever seen them fitted to 99 onwards... if it is something you really wanted I expect it could be adapted.

So take one 98 car and you want 350~400bhp, off the top of my head..

Walbro fuel pump
550cc injectors - nismo are currently the best all round injector imho
TD05 20g
Apexi Induction kit or APS CAK etc..
Front mount intercooler or adapt an Sti7/8 intercooler to fit.
Apexi PowerFC
SX or Fuelab fuel pressure regulator optional
NGK PFR7B spark plugs,
3port boost solenoid

Simon
Old 25 July 2007, 04:22 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

To confirm, my car is an jap import so it looks like I have the slightly better MAF then.

Thanks for confirming the parts list, my list was nearly the same but not quite as specific, I was unsure of which injectors to use.

I dont neccessarily want the APS CAK, if an induction kit like the APEXi one does the job just as well if not better then thats good for me, expecially if it would not need modifying to fit.

Thanks again Simon you have been a huge help, my sourcing will start in earnest. Unfortunately I cant afford to just hand the car to someone such as yourself and have it supplied and fitted in one go, am gonna have to purchase parts bit by bit and store them till the time comes for the fitting.
Old 25 July 2007, 10:52 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link G3, does away with the maf and conigurable like a "mini-motec"

bob