Notices

which classic is the quickest in stock?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2007, 03:35 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which classic is the quickest in stock?

was wondering guys which of the classic version 1 to 6 is the quickest in stock form?
Old 27 July 2007, 03:38 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

have a look here
Which Car is a WRX STi

scroll down to see all the specs
Old 27 July 2007, 04:31 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

22b?
Old 27 July 2007, 05:13 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

depends what you mean as fastest.A typeR will out accelerate any other from 0-60,0-100 and probably quarter mile iirc the tests for the V4 typeR were 4.3-60 10.9-100 and 12.9 for the 1/4 but a P1 will pull away at higher speeds due to gearbox ratios
Old 27 July 2007, 10:12 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
depends what you mean as fastest.A typeR will out accelerate any other from 0-60,0-100 and probably quarter mile iirc the tests for the V4 typeR were 4.3-60 10.9-100 and 12.9 for the 1/4 but a P1 will pull away at higher speeds due to gearbox ratios
What about the V5 type R?
Old 27 July 2007, 11:01 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

The RA is very quick up to 100 Not much comes close.
Old 28 July 2007, 12:13 PM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Cool

My passengers floor mat lifts off the floor with full bore launches... go the classic RA !
Old 28 July 2007, 12:31 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Yep classic RA with a few mods, very quick to 125MPH not much will touch them to a 100mph.
Old 28 July 2007, 12:37 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Type RA is the quickest.
Especially with a 450 Bhp 2.5l 6speed.

Last edited by bluerigster; 28 July 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 28 July 2007, 01:04 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

everybody is going to have an oppinion here (depending on what they drive )
so you need to look impartally at specs,
if your talking about accelaration, and quarter mile times, then i would say the type R STI as its the car that subaru claim themselfs to be the fastest 0-60
and the type R STI was chosen to superseed the type RA for WRC, and dont forget the 22B is a "type R 22B".
the type RA STI would be very close behind, some say the RA is lighter, but not true, the 2 door shell of the STI version of the type R is lighter than the RA, and the V3 model had all the homoligation stuff on it to pass the car for WRC in 1996/7
such as group n rear, including diff and brake set ups, (totally different from all other type R cars) try and get parts
but they all share the same liniage.
from one car to the next they are all different.
but i am biased as i have a type R STI WRC 555. V3

Type R cars are double slow in standard trim at top speed 140ish. and nearly 8,000 rpm , but boy do they get there quickly.

but what do i know
Old 28 July 2007, 01:27 PM
jonny81
Scooby Regular

Thats hardly an impartial view since you own a type r, plus i was under the impression that the 2 door was heavier than the 4?
Old 28 July 2007, 02:37 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ONE 234
everybody is going to have an oppinion here (depending on what they drive )
so you need to look impartally at specs,
if your talking about accelaration, and quarter mile times, then i would say the type R STI as its the car that subaru claim themselfs to be the fastest 0-60
and the type R STI was chosen to superseed the type RA for WRC, and dont forget the 22B is a "type R 22B".
the type RA STI would be very close behind, some say the RA is lighter, but not true, the 2 door shell of the STI version of the type R is lighter than the RA, and the V3 model had all the homoligation stuff on it to pass the car for WRC in 1996/7
such as group n rear, including diff and brake set ups, (totally different from all other type R cars) try and get parts
but they all share the same liniage.
from one car to the next they are all different.
but i am biased as i have a type R STI WRC 555. V3

Type R cars are double slow in standard trim at top speed 140ish. and nearly 8,000 rpm , but boy do they get there quickly.

but what do i know
Type R V3 weighs 1250 kgs

Type RA weighs 1180 kgs of the same year. Earlier type RA of 1994 weighed 1170kgs. Later models of 1999 1210kgs.
Old 28 July 2007, 02:50 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I have never owned a type R or RA, but my first scoob had a RA gearbox and for motorway driving it was just a nightmare. I know this isn't strictly along with 'which is the quickest' but just saying for folks that have never used one of those gearboxes, they aren't ideal for prolonged fast motoray driving etc in my opinion. I was over the moon when I got a normal box fitted!
Old 28 July 2007, 03:08 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster
Type R V3 weighs 1250 kgs

Type RA weighs 1180 kgs of the same year. Earlier type RA of 1994 weighed 1170kgs. Later models of 1999 1210kgs.
hi mate, where did you get those figures from?
i am quoting from the prodrive DVD , where they state that the type R STI WRC V3 is a lighter shell than the type RA , hence using it for the WRC cars?
and that its the quickist car to 60 mph??
also it says the type R has a much stronger chassis and shell,than the RA including a fixed rear bulkhead
and it covers up to 2001.

and of course im biased.....i said that in the post
good luck.
Old 28 July 2007, 03:10 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
I have never owned a type R or RA, but my first scoob had a RA gearbox and for motorway driving it was just a nightmare. I know this isn't strictly along with 'which is the quickest' but just saying for folks that have never used one of those gearboxes, they aren't ideal for prolonged fast motoray driving etc in my opinion. I was over the moon when I got a normal box fitted!

your so right mate. its a right pain, at 70mph, im doing 4,500 rpm, i have a "custom gear set"
but the red line isnt untill 8,000 (my car is 2.2)

Last edited by ONE 234; 28 July 2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added text
Old 28 July 2007, 03:36 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

hi mate, where did you get those figures from?
i am quoting from the prodrive DVD , where they state that the type R STI WRC V3 is a lighter shell than the type RA , hence using it for the WRC cars?
and that its the quickist car to 60 mph??
also it says the type R has a much stronger chassis and shell,than the RA including a fixed rear bulkhead
and it covers up to 2001.

and of course im biased.....i said that in the post
good luck.
When my mate took me to pick my Sti Type Ra up (1998 totally standard with 28,000 miles on the clock we raced them back to where we live ( he in his 1998 type R 32,000 miles on the clock) over 200 miles of off the line sprints, flat out, through the gears, and we both came to the conclusion that mine was quicker in ALL aspects that was real life driving not looking at fiqures on bits of paper sorry to dissapoint R owners but the upshot is who keeps thiers standard there will be nothing in it once you have fitted ecu, exhaust fmic etc etc
Old 28 July 2007, 03:50 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

My Version 6 STi Type R was a ltd WRC. I had the longer top gear which peaked at 162mph at 8000rpm. You wouldn't want to hold that speed for long though...
Also, it out-paced a P1 in big figures so the best of both worlds in terms of 0-60 and top end.

Nick
Old 28 July 2007, 04:05 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morto15
When my mate took me to pick my Sti Type Ra up (1998 totally standard with 28,000 miles on the clock we raced them back to where we live ( he in his 1998 type R 32,000 miles on the clock) over 200 miles of off the line sprints, flat out, through the gears, and we both came to the conclusion that mine was quicker in ALL aspects that was real life driving not looking at fiqures on bits of paper sorry to dissapoint R owners but the upshot is who keeps thiers standard there will be nothing in it once you have fitted ecu, exhaust fmic etc etc

your not dissapointing type R owners mate
that was one test against a driver who might or might not have been as good as you, or one car could have been better than the other. (common sence)
and the poster was asking "in stock form"
but i bow to your type R eating car. also i wouldnt buy your car from you, after you say you picked your car up then "raced it 200 miles flat out through the gears" that would have done it the world of good.

Last edited by ONE 234; 28 July 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 28 July 2007, 04:27 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

your not dissapointing type R owners mate
that was one test against a driver who might or might not have been as good as you, or one car could have been better than the other. (common sence)
and the poster was asking "in stock form"
but i bow to your type R eating car. also i wouldnt buy your car from you, after you say you picked your car up then "raced it 200 miles flat out through the gears" that would have done it the world of good.
If you read my post properly (common sense) you would have read that both cars WERE stock nothing to do with the drivers of the cars we actually swopped cars aswell to see the difference also these cars are just playthings meant, designed and engineered to go fast (thrashed) and i would buy a car from you it would be a bargain read the thread properly next time
Old 28 July 2007, 04:29 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

OOOOOOOOOh it all makes sense now ive just seen your car for sale
the point i was trying to make and you so rightly pointed out is that no 2 cars are the same if the difference is that small then its not worth talking about you could get 2 more cars and the difference go in favour of the Type r, its that small a difference then its not worth picking the weebles out of buscuits for, i was not trying to make the point that my car was a Type R eater anyway good luck with selling your car ****

Last edited by morto15; 28 July 2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 28 July 2007, 04:57 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Lol @this thread.Its one of those questions that is impossible to answer as everybody has a different opinion and different evidence,yes i maybe biased towards the typeR as i have a V5 one but everybody (within reason) thinks their car is the best/fastest etc
Old 28 July 2007, 05:44 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morto15
If you read my post properly (common sense) you would have read that both cars WERE stock nothing to do with the drivers of the cars we actually swopped cars aswell to see the difference also these cars are just playthings meant, designed and engineered to go fast (thrashed) and i would buy a car from you it would be a bargain read the thread properly next time

these cars are most certanly not ment to be "thrashed", and "these cars" are most definatly not playthings.
when i said about being stock, i was replying to you, when you said "once you have fitted ecu / exhaust tmic etc etc" (and the OP was talking about stock cars)

just a footnote, you seem to have lost the advantage of "lightweight" on your RA by adding all those extras (view my/your scooby)
but it looks like a very nice clean car well done.
good luck
Old 28 July 2007, 06:30 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

the RA was made up to 2000 as was the typeR,prodrive used the typeR to go racing when it was released so must mean something,they seem to know what they were doing

Last edited by exvaux; 28 July 2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: missed words
Old 28 July 2007, 07:02 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

the RA was made up to 2000 as was the typeR,prodrive used the typeR to go racing when it was released so must mean something,they seem to know what they were doing
i agree totally, that was my "mute" point.

why did prodrive use the type R when it came out over the (still current) RA?
if the RA was "lighter/better faster" (for rallying agreed)
the DVD i have from prodrive themselves, says they chose the 1996/7 model type R STI as a base because it was the lightest/strongest car at the time, i just equated that myself to mean quickest also?
this is not a whoes better thread, it was originaly asked which classic is the quickest in stock form, i still beleive that to be the type R STI, with the RA a very close second, but im also quite hapy to have the RA as first, and the R a close second, i dont know, i dont rearly care (do a bit )
it was just my feelings on the thread.
i love um all me.
Old 28 July 2007, 07:19 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

Ra means Rally Altered - Meaning lets go Rally..

No Rally driver switches the aircon on (Type R) when it gets a little warm.

He will however open his Roof Vent ( Type-Ra ) when a little warm.

A Rally driver wont use his electric window's ( Type R ) again when warm or use his electric mirrors ( Type R ) to see what's behind him.

He will however have to wind down his window ( Type-Ra ) and adjust his mirrors by hand ( Type-Ra ) to see what's behind him.

A Rally driver wont have an airbag ( Type R ) go off in his face if he hit's a tree.

He will however go flying through the windscreen ( Type-Ra ) and taste the bark.

Type-Ra's rock in std form .. Nothing comes close for the sole purpose of what Subaru built these cars for other than the 22b..
Old 28 July 2007, 07:30 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

The type R shell is lighter and stiffer but as for car weights. The RA car is lighter with no additional extras, the type R came with additional features over the type RA such as electric windows, air conditioning with climate control, central locking, electric mirrors, ABS brakes, air bags, extra sound proofing, rear spoiler, side skirts and rear spats. It's quite obvious that the type R car and not shell is the heavier of the two cars.

So with both cars running stock 280 bhp engines which one is quicker?.
A. 1180 kgs type RA
B. 1250 kgs type R

Er

Last edited by bluerigster; 28 July 2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 28 July 2007, 08:00 PM
Luke-Avfc
Scooby Regular

The type R shell is lighter and stiffer but as for car weights. The RA car is lighter with no additional extras, the type R came with additional features over the type RA such as electric windows, air conditioning with climate control, central locking, electric mirrors, ABS brakes, air bags, extra sound proofing, rear spoiler, side skirts and rear spats. It's quite obvious that the type R car and not shell is the heavier of the two cars.

A. 1180 kgs type RA
B. 1250 kgs type R

Er
SSsshh you can't say a bad word about the Type R . .

There quickest , Have the highest top speed , Lighter , Handle better , Have the strongest engine of all Impreza's

And Why . . . .

Because there a 2 door ..
Old 28 July 2007, 08:06 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutz

A Rally driver wont use his electric window's ( Type R ) again when warm or use his electric mirrors ( Type R ) to see what's behind him.

He will however have to wind down his window ( Type-Ra ) and adjust his mirrors by hand ( Type-Ra ) to see what's behind him.

A Rally driver wont have an airbag ( Type R ) go off in his face if he hit's a tree.

He will however go flying through the windscreen ( Type-Ra ) and taste the bark.

Type-Ra's rock in std form .. Nothing comes close for the sole purpose of what Subaru built these cars for other than the 22b..
oh dear you dont know your car do you
RA does not mean rally altered
R does come with a roof vent (WRC model, i have one) and it was not for opening when warm?? it was to reduce cabin pressure
WRC type R does not have air bag
i could go on, but that will do for now.

parting shot....type R 22B
Old 28 July 2007, 08:10 PM
ONE 234
Scooby Regular

A. 1180 kgs type RA
B. 1250 kgs type R

Er
you also need to check your specs.
type R WRC 555 STI had a sand cast closed deck block (not die cast) and had a confirmed 300bhp and was blueprinted. so that negates the slight weight thingy.
check the homologation specs for the 1997 car.

oh, and white cars are the fastest.
i love this thread.
Old 28 July 2007, 08:14 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutz

WTF? I've got a RA version 6 and I have an airbag, leccy windows and mirrors plus AC and a roof vent..

I do not have much sound proofing and that is exactly what I wanted. oh, I think it's Race Altered, but who cares. THe RA is a the lighter car and thus making it a bit quicker, the RA has a stiffer Chassis, thus making it the choice for rallying.

Quick Reply: which classic is the quickest in stock?