Notices

Running probs from cold

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2007, 04:43 PM
ben_edwards30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running probs from cold

Can anyone help me out, 93 wrx. The car is very very spluttery from cold you try to accelerate and it just splutters, coughs it's guts up and seems to miss a bit aswell but as soon as it's warmed up it's fine drives as it should???? I cleaned the MAF seemed to help for a day then back to normal????
Old 28 July 2007, 04:46 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Try removing and cleaning the Cam and Crank sensors. If the classic has them. The other thing to try is a bottle of STP injector cleaner.

Last edited by 360ste; 28 July 2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 28 July 2007, 04:49 PM
ben_edwards30
Scooby Regular

i did clean them not so long ago to be honest and they weren't even that dirty then.
Old 29 July 2007, 07:38 PM
ben_edwards30
Scooby Regular

any1???
Old 29 July 2007, 08:23 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car fine when on boost?
The engine should cut out if the maf is disconnected when the engine is running.
Old 30 July 2007, 10:43 AM
simog
Scooby Regular

Check the post I made on the same problem (stalls when cold, fine when warm). Sounds very much like the problem I had....It wasn't the MAF. I had a pipe snapped off from the air resonator box to the boost solenoid which caused the car to stall on the first start and then when it did start the idle hunted all over the place and spluttered really badly until it was warm.

I have been told that most classics have this pipe snapped off, just the cheap plastic nipple is prone to snapping when removing the box!!

Take out the box, and on the left side of it (as looking from the front of the car) you will see a large port for the connection to the MAF, and a smaller connection for the pipe to the boost solenoid.

I replaced mine with a metal aftermarket one (inplace of the resonator box) and since doing that, it has been totally fixed.

I do have a green label MAF you can test in it (perfect working order) if this isn't the problem...I'm in Milton Keynes.

Hope this helps.
Old 01 August 2007, 06:46 PM
ben_edwards30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simog
Check the post I made on the same problem (stalls when cold, fine when warm). Sounds very much like the problem I had....It wasn't the MAF. I had a pipe snapped off from the air resonator box to the boost solenoid which caused the car to stall on the first start and then when it did start the idle hunted all over the place and spluttered really badly until it was warm.

I have been told that most classics have this pipe snapped off, just the cheap plastic nipple is prone to snapping when removing the box!!

Take out the box, and on the left side of it (as looking from the front of the car) you will see a large port for the connection to the MAF, and a smaller connection for the pipe to the boost solenoid.

I replaced mine with a metal aftermarket one (inplace of the resonator box) and since doing that, it has been totally fixed.

I do have a green label MAF you can test in it (perfect working order) if this isn't the problem...I'm in Milton Keynes.

Hope this helps.

The engine does cut straight away when i unplug the MAF so i guess it's ok.

The pipe your talking about is the on frome the bottom of the boost solinoid i think. My car came with a K&N when i first bought it and the pipe your talking about was fed into the back of the K&N so when i replaced the K&N with a dry element filter i just made a hole in the back of this filter for the pipe again, should i not of done this then? Where is this pipe meant to go as i don't have a resinator box the has been removed with a piece of pipe??? Also where can i get the metal resinator replacement thing from?
Old 01 August 2007, 07:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coil packs. Mine used to do the same thing.

You'll get the resonator replacement by buying an Apexi Power Intake.
Old 02 August 2007, 07:31 PM
ben_edwards30
Scooby Regular

It still boost fine but only when warm from cold it just doesn't want to go at all just splutters when you put your foot down. Was yours the same as that?
Old 03 August 2007, 03:21 PM
simog
Scooby Regular

Mine was similar but it didn't last that long tbh. Would splutter and die, but then warm up and be fine.
Old 04 August 2007, 03:50 PM
scooby lude
Scooby Regular

Default coughs etc

if it starts to cough splut etc after about 2 mins from cold then fine whem warm.....then its 99.9 percent lamber sensor .try disconnecting it and try again from cold if its runs fine now then theres your prob ,common fault im affraid