Notices

Problem with headers?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2007, 01:35 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with headers?

Hi i have a bit of a problem. About a year ago i brought some headers on ebay, which looked really good to start with, however they only lasted about 9 months till they cracked at the collector and seller wouldnt take them back.

i then brought GT Spec Headers from flat4online. however now when i drive my car i find that i have loads of lag and the turbo comes on full boost at around 4k before it did this just after 3k. Plus i dont feel that power which i had before. i didnt think i need a remap as i just replaced the after market headers with better after market ones. So does any body know what i can do to resolve this problem. below is the options i can think of.

would i need to get my car remapped to get this fixed?
or would replacing these headers with ported headers help?
or would keeping the headers and porting the uppipe help?

or is their something else wrong?

Currently my car is mapped at 1.25bar running a TD05 in a 1994 WRX which was producing a nice 330hp with 311lb of torque.

Any help would be appreicaited. As im just about to port my headers and up pipe just in case to see if this would help.

regards

djquest
Old 21 August 2007, 01:54 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

At that power level you would be much better off with ported headers,
The up-pipe on your GTspec headers may be too large resulting in slower gas flow therefore not spining the turbo up until later in the rev range.

A remap probably won't make a great deal of difference in the spool up, but will deffinately free up more power towards the end of the rev range.

I would probably use the headers with a ported oem up-pipe, But I think GT spec headers probably have 3 bolt holes and the OEM up-pipe only has 2.

Ported OEM Headers it is then!!!!
Old 21 August 2007, 01:57 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

I would definatly go for a remap as the new headers will probably changed to spool threshhold. If the boost has significantly changed then I think im right in saying your fueling will be wrong.
Old 21 August 2007, 02:03 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no tuner expert but here's my opinion anyway:

Originally Posted by djquest
Hi i have a bit of a problem. About a year ago i brought some headers on ebay, which looked really good to start with, however they only lasted about 9 months till they cracked at the collector and seller wouldnt take them back. Should have kept the originals on, assuming they were still OK...

i then brought GT Spec Headers from flat4online. however now when i drive my car i find that i have loads of lag and the turbo comes on full boost at around 4k before it did this just after 3k. Plus i dont feel that power which i had before. Clearly if the only thing you changed were the headers, and now it drives different, it can only be the headers to blame. i didnt think i need a remap as i just replaced the after market headers with better after market ones. Obviously you DID need a remap then. So does any body know what i can do to resolve this problem. below is the options i can think of.

would i need to get my car remapped to get this fixed? Yes
or would replacing these headers with ported headers help? If they're original Subaru ones, ported, then yes, they will bring your spool up point right back down to where it should be, especially once mapped. My TD05-16G hits 1 bar at 3100 rpm on Harvey's ported headers and up-pipe, that's with a FMIC as well.
or would keeping the headers and porting the uppipe help? Flog them and replace with ported standard if you want decent turbo response in the midrange.

or is their something else wrong?

Currently my car is mapped at 1.25bar running a TD05 in a 1994 WRX which was producing a nice 330hp with 311lb of torque. That's a pretty good power figure for 1.25 bar...

Any help would be appreicaited. As im just about to port my headers and up pipe just in case to see if this would help.

regards

djquest
Old 21 August 2007, 02:34 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

i have had a few bits done to my car, fmic, light weight pulley, organic clutch, 550 cc injectors, full decat and ninja back box, 4 pot brakes, with groved and vented discs and oh yeah a full custom re-map done by polor performance ( ESL Tuning). during the tuning process my clutch went and so i went to power engineering to have it checked on the dyno.

What i will do is port the headers my self and see how that goes or get a full remap done. i think the headers i have brought have a two bolt flange. coz from what i was aware their are two types of GT spec headers version 1 and 2. Version 1 has 2 bolts and version 2 has 3 bolts.

or do u think it would be a good idea if i changed my turbo to a VF35 and then get a remap. would that be better?
Old 21 August 2007, 02:40 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

I dont think changing the turbo is the answer here. Yes you will get slightly less lag and faster spool sacrificing a little power but, you were happy with how the car performed before you changed the headers and I dont see why this cannot be the case again.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:01 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

i m guessing the remap will cost me allot as power engineering have quoted me around £600 to do it. and it would be hard to for me to get luton to get polor performance to re map it. well i think i will just go for porting the headers and see how that works.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:09 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming that you have a >MY99 car and had your car mapped with ecutek software. You will have already paid for the Ecutek license and therefore will not need to pay for this again. I think the £600 quoted is including the license. I would let Power Engineering know this and im sure this figure will drop to a reasonable price.

HTH
Mike
Old 21 August 2007, 03:12 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

the scoob i have is a MY94 WRX JDM using a daughterboard
Old 21 August 2007, 04:10 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

whoops.....yes i just read the first post, sorry for misunderstanding. £600 for a re-map?? You could have an Apexi power fc mapped for a little more!
Hope you get it sorted.
Old 21 August 2007, 04:14 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the help.