Notices

FELL LIKE SCRAPPING MY CAR ATM

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2007, 01:00 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FELL LIKE SCRAPPING MY CAR ATM

JUST DIPPED BOTH DIP STICKS IN THE ENGINE BOTH BONE DRY FOR SUM REASON NO OIL MARKS ON THE DRIVE ONLY MARKS ARE FROM MY LITTLE POWER STEERING LEAK.I GETTING A NEW EXHUAST TO SOUGHT OUT THE BLOWING AND ITS BEING SERVICED ON THE 7TH.BUT WHEN I PUT MA FOOT DW N EVEN A LITTLE BIT TO REV IT IT SEEMS TO SPLUTTER LIKE ITS MISSING COULD THIS BE THE START OF A COIL PACK OR SPARK NOT WORKING PROPERLY BEEN TOLD ITS COMMON FOR THEM TO CRACK WHEN THEY GET HOT.ALSO WHERE CUD THE OIL HAVE GONE ?????
Old 27 August 2007, 01:12 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how often do you check the oil, some cars do use a small bit.
what type of scoob have you got?
could be worth cleaning the maf sensor, i think brake/clutch cleaner is good for this.

if you oil is that low, would be best to top it up, when the engine is cold, it should be around where the top hole on the dip stick is.
Old 27 August 2007, 01:15 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

i checked the oil when i got it and it was inbetween the full and low mark on the stick its now right on the tip of the dipstick i guna wait till the service to get it all topped up full at same tym then can see if its goin down fast or not.whats the second dipstick i found dwn the bk near my turbo that was also bone dry but i didnt check that when i got the ca its a 93wrx jap import
Old 27 August 2007, 01:39 PM
the_msp
Scooby Regular

2nd dipstick from your description of the location sounds like your gearbox dipstick. On the passenger side of the turbo?

Spluttering could well be coilpacks, take them out and have a look, 12mm spanner. Take out the airbox on the drivers side and the windscreen washer tank on the passenger side for easier access to the coil packs.
Old 27 August 2007, 04:30 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

i getting it serviced just guna wait till then hes doin all the spark plugs and he guna check the coil packs for cracks hoefully its them.why are both the dipstix near enuf dry????
Old 27 August 2007, 06:50 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 20withascooby
i getting it serviced just guna wait till then hes doin all the spark plugs and he guna check the coil packs for cracks hoefully its them.why are both the dipstix near enuf dry????

If the dipsticks are not showing any oil then they need topping up asap...I really wouldnt run my car with the oil level not reading on the dipstick, not even for a minute let alone 2 weeks.

You could have an oil leak thats leaking on the exhaust so wouldnt leave a oil patch on the floor but would smell after use. The engine might be drinking some oil which could be bad news.

The car needs to be really level to get a true reading of oil in both engine and gearbox.

If the gearbox oil is low then this could cause some issues, grinding noises, crunching into gear and would wear the gears quicker. In your other post you said you get a funny noise and vibration on overrun, this could be coming from your gearbox not engine!

Check the levels again and top them up asap if they are still reading low (gear oil 75w90, engine oil 10w40 - 15w50?)

Gaz
Old 27 August 2007, 10:00 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

im not driving at the min and dont plan to until after the service when everything is topped up so i can tell if it goes down.what could it be if its drinking oil?????im guna fill it up with silkolene pro r think thats 15w 50.and it does crunch into reverse thought this was a commen problem with scoobies.dont smell during or after use somtimes get the odd bit of smoke from the vents but thats where a little drip of power sterring fluid has dripped onto manifold already had that checked out.
Old 28 August 2007, 12:51 PM
sob
Scooby Regular

could be the oil seals on the turbo,is there any smoke coming from the exhaust when driving?especially when turbo is at full boost,and it would definatly be worth topping it up with oil if its going to be started up before the service,or driving to get it serviced,good luck with the car
Old 28 August 2007, 05:39 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

he doin the service at my house guna get it all topped up and watch if it gos down after service any sign of it goin dwn off to the garge to get presure tested and that only a little bit of whitish smoke been told thats usual at high revs due to it being fully decat de silenced and no baffles of anything sumbody mentioned today that i cudda melted sumthing where its overfuelling a bit well i say a bit i always pop and flame out the bk lol
Old 29 August 2007, 12:50 PM
sob
Scooby Regular

you'd see alot of smoke if it was the turbo oil seals is i doubt its that
Old 29 August 2007, 06:28 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

na there def isnt a lot of smoke a few ppl saying now that i cudda melted sumthing due to the over fuelling issue.??????
Old 29 August 2007, 06:52 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

over fueling wouldnt cause you to melt anything... not enough fuel would though.

If your engine is burning oil due to turbo seals, piston rings or melted piston you would definatly see blue smoke.

If your overfueling you would have black smoke not white! white smoke could be head gasket and this could even be your problem... if the head gasket has gone the oil could be entering the water system, some water may enter the cylinders which would cause white smoke.

Remove the header tank cap and see if theres any white residue on the cap or get it tested for emissions from the header tank to see if the head gasket has gone.

Popping and flames are normal for a full de-cat system and would be even more common if your running a VTA dump valve.

Gaz
Old 29 August 2007, 07:50 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

head gasket didnt think they went on these.checked under the cap no white gunky stuff but y wud the gearbox one be empty aswell.????duno if its black or white lol when i park near garage door its leaves loadsa black stuff on the garge door ????myt just get service dun take it sumwhere get em to investigate and myt get sum engine mods dun at same tym wat type of things can i get for about 1 500-600 pound budget atm mainly want performance
Old 29 August 2007, 07:52 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

but during day the smoke looks clear from my mirror anyway only does it when first started and when cahnged just b4 7000rpm and it pops and a lil cloud comes out also
Old 29 August 2007, 08:39 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Head gasket can go on any car....if it had youd have quite alot of white smoke (actually steam) and could have oil entering the water system and water entering the oil system. If its lost alot of oil you'd probably see some white gunk in the water system if the oil was entering it.

White smoke (steam) will be present on start up which is normal. If you leave it parked by a wall or somthing whilst running it will leave black soot on the wall, which is normal... its what you get when you burn any fuel.

Probably best to get someone look at and sort it if it has got issues before you run more power. you may not have lost as much oil as you think, some may go through the breather system into the intake and you may have a slight leak from the rocker cover... as for the gearbox you didnt say you checked this when you bought the car so it may have not had much in it before you bought it.
Old 29 August 2007, 09:12 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

if i was you mate id learn to walk before you can run you want to spend money on mods but wont put a drop of oil in you must be i think your engine will go bang or your gear box if you have any thing done, fancy buying a car and dont check the levels, next you will want to know where the spare wheel is i can only see one thing your going to be doing and that is
7000rpm, whats the point

Old 30 August 2007, 06:29 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

i dnt always change gear at 7000rpm only when im aving a play in it i aint that stupid and im not putting oil in it atm coz im not even using the car its sitting on my drive awaiting a service so wats the point.if you read it properly i said i cant remember if i check the levels bit hard aving 3 cars and trying to remmeber wt cars av wt levels in em.i no where the spare wheel is in the ****ing garage coz i took it out maself i aint that stupid
Old 30 August 2007, 06:30 AM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

it dnt go over 7000rmp not once has it been into the red coz it cant it dnt let me
Old 30 August 2007, 07:42 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

btttt
Old 31 August 2007, 07:24 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

any other helpful comments much appriecated
Old 31 August 2007, 07:43 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Are you sure about the second dipstick, unusual to use gearbox oil without a significant leak.

I'd check the MAF regarding sooty smoke on the garage door, but it could just be running rich when starting, nothing out the ordinary.

How miles have you driven since checking engine oil?

Make sure you've got the engine running 100% before looking at mods, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Mark A
Old 01 September 2007, 01:24 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

erm ive prop driven about 2000 miles but coz it was a new toy and from jumping from a 1.4 to a 2.0 turbo most of them av been driven hard gtta learn not too.well if nothing is ofund during service im taking it to s w autos to get them to find out wats up with it.only little drops on drive are from my power steering leak i have when i got the car i def didnt check the geaerbox one didnt even see it till other day but im sure i checked other one