Notices

my02 decat uppipe or not?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2007, 09:42 PM
xrblue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my02 decat uppipe or not?

Next week I will be having the down pipe of my car decatted.
The rear cat is already taken out because it had a ppp alredy fitted to the car when I bought it.
But I figured I might as well have the up pipe decatted too.

Would there be much extra work involved to decat the up pipe too?

Will I get an engine light on the dash if I decide not to decat the up pipe?
Old 31 August 2007, 10:00 PM
Lord Bass
Scooby Regular

iirc its about a 3 hour job as you have to take the headers off. u may get a high exhaust temp warning as the sensor is in the up pipe but u can by pass that with a resistor.
Old 01 September 2007, 01:58 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lord Bass
iirc its about a 3 hour job as you have to take the headers off. u may get a high exhaust temp warning as the sensor is in the up pipe but u can by pass that with a resistor.
You don't have to take the headers off to replace the uppipe. Once the uppipe is unbolted from the turbo and exhaust manifold at RHS. You need to loosen both engine mounts, jack the car up slightly on the rhs of the engine. This will give you enough room to remove the uppipe down the way. Its not hard just a little awkward, if you are doing it with the car on a ramp it's easy.
Old 01 September 2007, 09:21 PM
xrblue
Scooby Regular

I won't be doing the job myself, I will be taking it to longlife in cardiff, but when I told the guy I wanted to decat the up-pipe he didn't understand what I meant. He said there was only 2 cats in the system.

I have no idea where this up pipe is myself , I will need to point it out to him.

If anyone can explain where it is or show me on a picture I would be very grateful.
Old 01 September 2007, 09:46 PM
OakleighParkScoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xrblue
I won't be doing the job myself, I will be taking it to longlife in cardiff, but when I told the guy I wanted to decat the up-pipe he didn't understand what I meant. He said there was only 2 cats in the system.

I have no idea where this up pipe is myself , I will need to point it out to him.

If anyone can explain where it is or show me on a picture I would be very grateful.
The up-pipe goes into the bottom of the turbo, and out the back/rear of the turbo is the downpipe.if you get under the car and follow the exhaust round the front of the car it will loop round to the drivers side and up into the turbo. It is a fiddly job as i did it to my my01 WRX. I do get a high exhaust gas temp sensor warning occsaionally too, but have been told HKS do an uprated replacement sensor for about £100. U will def notice that the turbo spins up quicker once this is done, so well worth doing.
Old 01 September 2007, 10:03 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OakleighParkScoobie
The up-pipe goes into the bottom of the turbo, and out the back/rear of the turbo is the downpipe.if you get under the car and follow the exhaust round the front of the car it will loop round to the drivers side and up into the turbo. It is a fiddly job as i did it to my my01 WRX. I do get a high exhaust gas temp sensor warning occsaionally too, but have been told HKS do an uprated replacement sensor for about £100. U will def notice that the turbo spins up quicker once this is done, so well worth doing.
Just remove the gas temp sensor, it wont be needed it is only there as a "cat on fire" warning. Remove the sensor and conect a 2.2k ohm resistor either across the pins on the plug or cut the sensor off and solder the resistor across the two wires, job done. Resistors costs about 5p from maplin.