Notices

Yes another boost gauge question (SORRY)

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2007, 12:38 PM
Untitled
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Yes another boost gauge question (SORRY)

I've searched and read loads of posts but still a bit unsure. The instructions with the gauge are crap.

Just got a electric prosport boost gauge. But it seems a bit trickier than i was expecting. So can any one give me some help?

When the intructions refer to connecting a wire to the acc what is acc?

Also when wiring it up and i need to 'tap' into the parking light what is the best way of connecting the two wires? some posts mention soldering and others just say 'tap into this wire'.

I have four wires and i believe the following is right_

Red +battery terminal
Black -battery terminal or ground to cars bodywork
white to a wire only live when ignition is on (for day illumination)
amber to a wire live only when lights are turned on (for night illumination)

I believe these wires from the gauge are not long enough so i will need to buy some extra wire.

Any replied greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old 08 September 2007, 02:12 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same gauge. Yes, the instructions are not the clearest in the world, but to be fair, you don't sound like you've done much in the way of car electrics before and you've bought an electrical boost gauge rather than mechanical.

Anyway, I'll give you a quick rundown on it from memory, because I installed it a while ago and don't have the instructions anymore. You have a choice of red or white illumination which can then change to the opposite colour or stay the same when you switch your headlights on. I chose white/white because it's the easiest to wire and best looking IMHO.

'Acc' means an accessory live i.e. any 12v wire that you've got in the dash that doesn't seem to be going to anything particulary crucial and can only come on with the ignition. *** lighter or power to the stereo is often a good one, but avoid permanent lives like an interior light or the main 12v going to the ignition barrel.

If you really want the colour to change when you turn on your lights then you'll also need to find an illumination feed - easiest is to grab one off the back of the stereo or from any dash parts that light up at night, again *** lighter will do.

To 'tap' into a wire? Well that can be done various ways. The quick bodge is to cut the wire, strip it back a little both ways, twist your new wire and the two cut ends all into one, cover with gaffer or electrical tape. Another quick method is to use a 'scotchlok' which you place over the feed wire, insert the new wire you want to tap in, and then clamp it shut with pliers which joins the new wire in place. Yet another way is to do the same as the first method but this time solder it in place, then cover with tape. Another way is to run one of your cut ends into a spade or bullet terminal and then the other cut end plus the new wire into the counterpart terminal. Another way is to use a 'chocolate box', I think they're called terminal blocks, white plastic with screw down terminals arranged.

Your assessment of the wiring scheme sounds right, although you don't need to take the red and black anywhere near the battery, just use the nearest ground and switched 12v supply you can, somewhere in the dash.
Old 08 September 2007, 03:22 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I belive the red wire needs permanent live (ie, not switched) otherwise the gauges lose their settings. I tapped in to the live wire of the hazard warning lights switch.
Old 09 September 2007, 01:04 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you're right. I forgot that. The permanent 12v keeps the settings, most of important of which is turning the audible warning off and keeping it off!
Old 09 September 2007, 01:07 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by silent running
... most of important of which is turning the audible warning off and keeping it off!
Too right. I think we must have the same gauges. Most annoying sound in the world.

To mute the sound, just hold the buttons in whilst you turn the car on. Keep the buttons held in until the opening ceremony finishes.
Old 10 September 2007, 01:50 PM
Deano_P1
Scooby Regular

Think i have the same gauges too. Bit of a bugger to fit but got there in the end!

Had mine from Milsport...they look the dogs tho!