Notices

Which Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2007, 08:49 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Which Pads?

Just a quick one, I just bought a set of Black Diamond front disc's, there cross drilled and grooved. I need to pick up some pads now. What do you reckon will suit these best? I have been told to stick to Black Diamond pads, but would still like some 'Users Advice' and not a shop keepers!

Any good online suppliers for them?

My cars a MY99 UK Spec with 4 Pots

Doing this before some more serious mods!

Cheers

Last edited by Skooby53; 29 September 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: missed a line
Old 30 September 2007, 10:44 AM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 30 September 2007, 10:51 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Performance Friction pads from either Zen or ASP Performance
Old 30 September 2007, 08:53 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Anyone using the Black Diamond disc and pad combination? I have been using Greenstuff pads on my standard discs, these seemed ok. I have heard that these are not really suitable for Scoob's! Anymore idea's?
Old 01 October 2007, 07:22 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Greenstuff are not up to the job of working hard with the weight of the subaru. Red Stuff are better but it really depends on how you intend to use the car. If it is just road useage then red stuff will work but anything more than this (ie track) and they will fade.
Old 01 October 2007, 11:43 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Red stuff are ****e full stop.

I had the black diamond and red stuff combination and they were awful and suffered from fade.

Best pads I have ever used are Ferodo DS2500's no fade awesome stopping power and bite from cold. Only drawback is they are dusty but shouldnt be a problem if you wash your car regularly though.

Daz
Old 01 October 2007, 01:37 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

DS2500 are horrible on track and cause severe vibrations because of carbon deposits. They then turn all crumbly and effectively disintegrate..... nice - not
Old 01 October 2007, 02:51 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

The best way to stop is to stick your feet out the floor and stop aka Flintstone style-e,,,,,,,,,,

I'm looking to upgrade my breaks disk's and pads for not much more than £200 any advise welcome!

this might be for my disc'S

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX GROOVED BRAKE DISCS FRONT REAR P1 - eBay Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 04-Oct-07 20:15:00 BST)

not sure about my pads yet!
Old 01 October 2007, 07:51 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamix
DS2500 are horrible on track and cause severe vibrations because of carbon deposits. They then turn all crumbly and effectively disintegrate..... nice - not

Lots of hard 400bhp road miles on these (Yorkshire's twisties) and they were fine.
Infact the discs had to be changed at the same time as the pads due toi cracking (black diamond).

I never once had a problem with these.

I remember having a chat with a pro motorsport company and they told me to avoid the Red stuffs at all cost. They used them on a rally and they only lasted 17 miles .

There are pagid's and a bit higher on the scale is project mew (sp?)

For road use you'll be fine with the DS2500's

AP six pots with Ferodo race pads are the ultimate brakes for me!!
Old 01 October 2007, 08:40 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Ok, I will source some DS2500's. I have, as I previously said, been told to avoid greenstuff and the rest of the range so that's that! If its good for 400bhp then it should be very good for 285bhp.

As for the ebay items, well, all I can say is I am very happy with my cross drilled and grooved jobbies and they look the dogs *******s.
Old 08 October 2007, 01:16 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Lots of hard 400bhp road miles on these (Yorkshire's twisties) and they were fine.
Infact the discs had to be changed at the same time as the pads due toi cracking (black diamond).

I never once had a problem with these.

I remember having a chat with a pro motorsport company and they told me to avoid the Red stuffs at all cost. They used them on a rally and they only lasted 17 miles .

There are pagid's and a bit higher on the scale is project mew (sp?)

For road use you'll be fine with the DS2500's

AP six pots with Ferodo race pads are the ultimate brakes for me!!

Got to agree with Dynamix on this, have just fitted a set of DS2500 to my AP 6 pots, bedded them it as per the instructions. Went for a full on blast yesterday and after less than 15 miles they where shot, pulled up and they where bellowing smoke, thought they were about to burst into flames!
Old 08 October 2007, 08:47 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here's a vote for super cheap OMP Road & Track pads. £30 for a set for 294mm 4 pots for a late classic, and they are tireless. They have lasted through fast road use, track abuse the lot and are still going, braking just as well as the first day I had them. They need a bit of pedal to get them biting but you soon get used to it. First touches from cold can be a bit glassy but after that they're fine. For the money, they are absolutely phenomenal. I'll have no qualms about going out to the 'Ring on them next year.
Old 09 October 2007, 06:05 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Obviously the 'best' pad depends on the whole setup and use, I'm very happy with redstuffs (and mines heavier than most of yours), but they are not a track pad and I would expect them to not perform on a track or in competition....

As you have the BD discs, personally I would go with the BD pads as I would hope they are meant to work together, if your intending doing track days, then you'll need a more track biased pad.

Simon