Notices

properly annoying squeeky brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2007, 08:32 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default properly annoying squeeky brakes.

assuming its the rear brakes mainly... heres the story

driving along and a squeeky noise will start. like a rusty old bike wheel, but really high pitched and continuous. very very audiable too, embarrassing only goes away when i pull the handbrake up quite high for a few seconds and let it back down, but eventually it does it again.

currently ive found leaving my handbrake down when the cars parked up and leaving it in 1st gear instead helps the problem a little, as in it doesnt happen as often. sort of comes on and goes off after handbrake thing, only to return later. noticed too its very predominant after higher speeds, ie motorway n.s.l. roads etc.

another thing, always noticed since having discs/pads changed all round 8 months ago, the car really screeched when braking in reverse, this i can handle, but this other problem is really doing my nut in guys/girls. the handbrake is getting higher and higher and i need the problem sorting.

does anyone have any advice other than get the rear brakes stripped and cleaned, or could it be an underlying problem elsewhere. to clarify, the squeeking noise isnt always there, comes on after driving a little bit, comes and goes and i need the handbrake up quite high a couple secs to get rid temporarily.

oh, ive also had all 4 wheels off about 3/4 weeks ago to give the brakes a spray with some cleaner, but nothing taken off/stripped etc.

please help, my ears are ringing almost

thanks

andy
Old 02 October 2007, 10:35 AM
Scooby Senior

Take the rear discs off, clean up the handbrake mech i.e strip and clean and re-assemble , discs back on, adjust the handbrake and see how you are from there
Old 02 October 2007, 03:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
Take the rear discs off, clean up the handbrake mech i.e strip and clean and re-assemble , discs back on, adjust the handbrake and see how you are from there
, i have no idea how to do ANY of that, sorry. brakes are one thing ive never even dared fondling with, for obvious reasons... what sort of tools are required?