Notices

Raising the manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 11:42 AM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising the manifold

Guys i have a version 1/2 with an IHI turbo thats running a 90 degree samco induction hose, i would like to put a straight intake on and i have been told you can raise the manifold up, how much work is involved in this?

Engine will be coming out for HG job!

james
Old 03 October 2007, 11:45 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will need some inlet manifold spacers, which can be purchased in different thickness from Carl Davey.

Banny
Old 03 October 2007, 12:34 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
You will need some inlet manifold spacers, which can be purchased in different thickness from Carl Davey.

Banny
Thanks mate, is that all?
Old 03 October 2007, 12:57 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will also need to convert the turbo front entry and a matching inlet but other than that just be sure not to raise it too high as it may catch the bonnet.

banny
Old 03 October 2007, 01:15 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james-wrx
Guys i have a version 1/2 with an IHI turbo thats running a 90 degree samco induction hose, i would like to put a straight intake on and i have been told you can raise the manifold up, how much work is involved in this?

Engine will be coming out for HG job!

james
I was going to do this after fitting my TD05 20g. After speaking to a few people like Andy F etc I decided it was more hassle than it's worth.

Aswell as raising the manifold you need to remove your power steering pump and pipes and fit one from a newer model otherwise there won't be enough room to get the inlet pipe through.

I have fitted the manifold insulators to keep the temperature down but i'm using 90 degree hoses for the 20g.
Old 03 October 2007, 03:32 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
I was going to do this after fitting my TD05 20g. After speaking to a few people like Andy F etc I decided it was more hassle than it's worth.

Aswell as raising the manifold you need to remove your power steering pump and pipes and fit one from a newer model otherwise there won't be enough room to get the inlet pipe through.

I have fitted the manifold insulators to keep the temperature down but i'm using 90 degree hoses for the 20g.
ok thanks for this, I was under the impression you only had to move the other bits and pieces if you are going to turn the manifold round not just raise it up?
Old 03 October 2007, 05:03 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james-wrx
ok thanks for this, I was under the impression you only had to move the other bits and pieces if you are going to turn the manifold round not just raise it up?
No,you will need to swap the power steering pump/pipework for the later version because even when you have fitted the manifold spacers there isn't enough room to get the inlet pipe through.

I bought some 60mm i/d 90 degree silicone hose to fit my TD05 20g and it just about fits-bit tight against the manifold but it is in there

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2007, 11:20 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
No,you will need to swap the power steering pump/pipework for the later version because even when you have fitted the manifold spacers there isn't enough room to get the inlet pipe through.

I bought some 60mm i/d 90 degree silicone hose to fit my TD05 20g and it just about fits-bit tight against the manifold but it is in there
This is the setup I have now with a Hybrid IHI turbo, the pipe does seem to work loose over a period of time, it's such an acute angle it's a real B******d to get it on properly!