Notices

Power coming and going!!!!!???????

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2008, 07:55 PM
raymondo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Power coming and going!!!!!???????

hey all, i drive a 03 wrx. The car will run fine for days, weeks even, but then there is a severe drop in power . it feels like the turbo isn't kickin in or somethin like that. Anyhow, the car will keep running like cr@p for a few days, weeks even, then on a average run to the shop, u will feel it clear itself sort of . has anyone ever had this prob before?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated, cause, as im sure u all know, it's **** when your baby aint goin good!!!! cheers in advance.
Old 08 January 2008, 08:50 PM
THE MAN THAT CAN
Scooby Regular

Exclamation do sum basic checks

IYA MATE TRY DOING SOME BASIC CHECKS BEFORE U DO ANYTHING ELSE. CHECK ALL UR BOOST HOSES ARE TIGHTLY FASEND UP. CHECK FOR BOOST LEAKS. HAVE U LET UR SCOOB RUN LOW ON FUEL MATE. GET UR ECU CHEKD OUT TOO. COULD ALSO CE A COIL PACK BREAKIN DOWN OR A SPARK PLUG ISSUE. WHAT BOOST PRESSURE ARE U RUNNIN? TAKE UR BOOST HOSE OFF AND CHECK UR TURBO FOR ANY SIGNS OFF WEAR OR ANY SIGN OF OIL LEEKIN? IS UR CAR USIN WATER TOO? A SLIGHT CRACK IN ONE OF THE HEADS COULD ALSO MAKE AND CAUSE THAT SORTA AFFECT THO NOT ON A NEW TYPE MOTOR LOL. IT COULD WELL BE AN ELECTRICAL FAULT SOME WHERE MATE SO STICK UR CHARIOT INTO A RESPECTABLE GARAGE AND GET IT FAULT DIAGNOSTIK'S CHECK.

(ANYHOW GOOD LUCK WITH IT OK AND I HOPE U RECTIFY THE FAULT)

Old 08 January 2008, 09:42 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hey The 'Caps Lock' is on the left, looks like your shouting It could well be your O2 sensor. I had a similar problem on my MY99, it ran really bad but then seemed to clear itself. It seemed better if you accelerated slowly and would pull cleanly(i.e. trip to the shop). However, if I tried to boot it then it started to run really bad and would only settle down when accelerating gradually.

Cheaper universal sensors are available, just do a search and I am sure you can find a supplier. Good luck

Last edited by Skooby53; 08 January 2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09 January 2008, 02:16 AM
raymondo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by THE MAN THAT CAN
IYA MATE TRY DOING SOME BASIC CHECKS BEFORE U DO ANYTHING ELSE. CHECK ALL UR BOOST HOSES ARE TIGHTLY FASEND UP. CHECK FOR BOOST LEAKS. HAVE U LET UR SCOOB RUN LOW ON FUEL MATE. GET UR ECU CHEKD OUT TOO. COULD ALSO CE A COIL PACK BREAKIN DOWN OR A SPARK PLUG ISSUE. WHAT BOOST PRESSURE ARE U RUNNIN? TAKE UR BOOST HOSE OFF AND CHECK UR TURBO FOR ANY SIGNS OFF WEAR OR ANY SIGN OF OIL LEEKIN? IS UR CAR USIN WATER TOO? A SLIGHT CRACK IN ONE OF THE HEADS COULD ALSO MAKE AND CAUSE THAT SORTA AFFECT THO NOT ON A NEW TYPE MOTOR LOL. IT COULD WELL BE AN ELECTRICAL FAULT SOME WHERE MATE SO STICK UR CHARIOT INTO A RESPECTABLE GARAGE AND GET IT FAULT DIAGNOSTIK'S CHECK.

(ANYHOW GOOD LUCK WITH IT OK AND I HOPE U RECTIFY THE FAULT)

Thanks for the pointers, will def check all these out. Im gonna just check every pipe i see, but which pipes are the boost pipes? I am a diesel mechanic by trade, but this is a tad over my head! lol. As for the boost pressure, the car doesn't have a boost guage, and i have no idea how to check it myself, so i have no idea what she is running. Im not quite sure, but i think that the boost has somethin to do we this as she isn't givin the say pssssst when u come of the throttle. Goin into a mates garage to check ecu on thursday too . And dont even joke about a cracked head!! lol. Will keep u posted.

Originally Posted by Skooby53
Hey The 'Caps Lock' is on the left, looks like your shouting It could well be your O2 sensor. I had a similar problem on my MY99, it ran really bad but then seemed to clear itself. It seemed better if you accelerated slowly and would pull cleanly(i.e. trip to the shop). However, if I tried to boot it then it started to run really bad and would only settle down when accelerating gradually.

Cheaper universal sensors are available, just do a search and I am sure you can find a supplier. Good luck
Thanks mate, have been tryin to get one of these from auto factors everywhere but they say their a dealer part only. Cant find any universal ones in the uk either.