Notices

97 UK Turbo - looking for 280-300bhp - any advice welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2008, 03:41 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 UK Turbo - looking for 280-300bhp - any advice welcome!

Hi Guys

I've had a 97 uk turbo for about 6 months and i've loved every second of it, but it needs more power to match the handling, i'm sure loads of you have been there and done it so i am looking for some advice on getting 280-300 bhp? The car is very lightly modified as follows:

- Prodrive WR sport backbox
- Bailey Dump Valve
- Green Cotton Panel Filter

I have just ordered a Tornado decat downpipe and a decat centre pipe which hopefully is a good start and gives me a full system, after that i was planning on fitting a greedy profech b boost controller and boost gauge. Does anyone know how much i could expect from this setup if it ran just under the fuel cut off? I'll probably uprate the fuel pump but i want to keep everything else as standard as possible.

Also does anyone know how how much fitting better brake pads such as ferodo DS2500 will improve the braking as its a bit of a joke at the moment with 2 pot calipers and standard pads (loads of fade!) If anyone has a set of 4 pots i may be interested...

Thanks very much for any help/advice!

Jason
Old 20 January 2008, 08:23 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i have same model with tarox discs and pads, pads need replacing very soon but still stops quickly. i also have a decat which has just been removed due to mot reasons, cant wait to put it back on it makes such a difference
Old 12 March 2008, 07:17 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

update on this one guys, unfortunately i have hit my first real snag today and it is a bit of a biggy. I had my car in on Monday to get a brand new greddy boost controller fitted and I got a call from my tuner to say that after messing about with it for ages that it is probably faulty, it is not holding boost at all even at 0 gain and is spiking all over the place! Also the solenoid is really noisy?! i bought it direct from japan via ebay so i think i have learnt my lesson there, it was 1/2 the price of anything in the UK but they will only accept faulty goods for 7 days and i waited 3 weeks to have it fitted!

Does anyone know someone who could try and fix it maybe? I'm afraid i can't confirm whether it is the main unit or the actuator valve which is faulty.

I have now pretty much decided that i want a newer model which can be re-mapped easily for the money i have spent on this one already. i believe the 99/00 models can be remapped so i will look for one of those. I think if i had known when i bought this 97 model that i would be so limited with the tuning options that i wouldn't have bought it, but as my first impreza it has been good fun, reliable and cheap to insure.

Out of interest, has anyone had similar problems with a new EBC? I still can't believe i got a faulty one as i've been planning the mods for ages!

Cheers

Jason
Old 12 March 2008, 08:32 PM
scooby350bhp
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, ive got a 97 UK Spec and had it remapped yesterday with Zen Performance so hopefully running about 340bhp.

before the remap it was running 290bhp the mods were -

vf28 turbo, walbro 255 fuel pump, blitz induction kit, equal length headers and 2.5 inch straight through exhaust with decat

hope this helps
Old 12 March 2008, 09:42 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

A simple remap would give you near to 300 bhp with the mods you already have.
Old 13 March 2008, 11:35 AM
Emoe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan83590
A simple remap would give you near to 300 bhp with the mods you already have.
Mine is a 98 model UK spec with 3" stainless turbo back (no cats) prodrive backbox, with Dawes running 14PSI boost and a K+N induction kit. No other mods.

What kind of BHP should this setup produce and what would a remap cost and waht difference would that make?

thanks
Old 13 March 2008, 12:28 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

<---- View my Scooby mate. Give you a couple of ideas. You`ll will need a Power FC for the re - map or or something similar. All work done by Zen!! And more to come

Last edited by Slick81; 13 March 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: ..
Old 13 March 2008, 01:34 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

With respect i think some posts on this thread are a little misleading, i have really looked into this since my first post and as far as i am aware you cannot remap a 97/98 ecu, you must replace the whole ecu in these cars. I know scott at polar performance is working on a way of remapping these but nothing exists at the moment.

Just trying to avoid any confusion!
Old 13 March 2008, 01:50 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Yes you are right mate, as I stated in my last post you`ll need a Power FC or something similar.
Old 13 March 2008, 01:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by scoobyjas
With respect i think some posts on this thread are a little misleading, i have really looked into this since my first post and as far as i am aware you cannot remap a 97/98 ecu, you must replace the whole ecu in these cars. I know scott at polar performance is working on a way of remapping these but nothing exists at the moment.

You cannot remap a pre-99 car with Ecutek. That much is true. However, I believe there may be mapping options other than replacing the ECU. AFAIK you can have daughterboard fixed to the ECU which will permit re-mapping. IIRC doesn't ESL mapping involve this?

Otherwise it is an aftermarket ECU such as Apexi Power FC.

You should speak to a mapper on here mate, someone like Jolly Green Monster.

Ns04
Old 13 March 2008, 02:41 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You cannot remap a pre-99 car with Ecutek. That much is true. However, I believe there may be mapping options other than replacing the ECU. AFAIK you can have daughterboard fixed to the ECU which will permit re-mapping. IIRC doesn't ESL mapping involve this?

Otherwise it is an aftermarket ECU such as Apexi Power FC.

You should speak to a mapper on here mate, someone like Jolly Green Monster.

Ns04
i have checked with scott at polar and scoobyclinic i think, neither can remap the standard ecu so i will try jolly green next .
Old 13 March 2008, 04:30 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Emoe
Mine is a 98 model UK spec with 3" stainless turbo back (no cats) prodrive backbox, with Dawes running 14PSI boost and a K+N induction kit. No other mods.

What kind of BHP should this setup produce and what would a remap cost and waht difference would that make?

thanks
You have an almost similar setup to mine but i'm running 16psi and it was tested at 263bhp on the rollers....
Old 13 March 2008, 04:32 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjas

This sounds interesting, got any more info? if its gonna be 3-400 quid instead of 8-1100 i'd be interested....
Old 13 March 2008, 04:43 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

ESL are working on something too I think. Check out their site.
Old 13 March 2008, 05:27 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Emails duly sent to both parties....

Will post back with anything useful....
Old 13 March 2008, 05:31 PM
scoobyjas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickyrhodes
This sounds interesting, got any more info? if its gonna be 3-400 quid instead of 8-1100 i'd be interested....
Nope, other than that polar are still looking into it, here's what scott said:

"sorry currently have no support for the 97/98 ECU.
Hope to be able to provide something in the summer to enable the standard ECU to be live mapped."

Short and sweet i'd say!

I think ESL are in the same position, but there's obviously the interest there so lets hope someone cracks it soon! Can anyone give scott a nudge?!
Old 13 March 2008, 06:02 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

I feel your pain Mate
There are a few of us in the same boat However I think Ill save my pennies and go with the Apexi and remap route with JGM ,£800 all in
If nothing else shows up in the next couple of months guess it will need to be
Old 13 March 2008, 06:23 PM
mike799
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt75racing
I feel your pain Mate
There are a few of us in the same boat However I think Ill save my pennies and go with the Apexi and remap route with JGM ,£800 all in
If nothing else shows up in the next couple of months guess it will need to be

yes save your pennies then let the jgm do the map,it will certainly put a smile on your face,i have a uk98 apexi ecu fitted jgm as mapped mine twice excellent guy & mapper,now running a vf35 at 1.4bar
Old 13 March 2008, 09:31 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike799
yes save your pennies then let the jgm do the map,it will certainly put a smile on your face,i have a uk98 apexi ecu fitted jgm as mapped mine twice excellent guy & mapper,now running a vf35 at 1.4bar

I must say, I agree with the above - JGM is GREAT!
Old 13 March 2008, 10:15 PM
shonner
Scooby Regular

Hi , Simon J G M mapped my car this week , i must say he has tremendous knowledge , had a problem with the car and was diagnosed as spark plugs , took them out set gap and perfect after, you will be in good hands .
Gareth.
Old 13 March 2008, 10:35 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

my car is a 97 uk car too with a unichip remap

ive got a few other bits and pieces done but we managed to get 340bhp and 310lb ft torque out of it