Notices

Intermittent starting, possible fuel problems?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2008, 11:51 PM
Scragger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent starting, possible fuel problems?

Hi, I have a 96 WRX wagon import, I bought it last April and it has been absolutely reliable until the last few days, I stopped at a cashpoint on the way to work and when I returned to the vehicle it refused to start.

It would turn over no problem and it tried to start, like it was gasping for fuel but would do no more than splutter and cough in the end I got it towed into my local Subaru dealer as it was pouring with rain and I had no idea were to start looking. I noticed that I could not hear the fuel pump prime itself as it always does before starting so I suspected a failure in the fuel delivery system, now we are into faulty wiring or engine management I thought.

I told the dealer the symptoms and they spent about 3 hours checking out the pump and associated wiring as it seemed the likely cause and could find no fault with the anything, after reassembling it the car started fine and road tested ok, so off I went £176 pounds lighter and not a new part in site I really am in the wrong job!! It was fine on the way to work and when I turned it off I checked to see if the pump primed itself which it did.

Then, when coming out to go home it failed to start again, all the lights on but no sound of a fuel pump priming itself hence no starting. I understand the check engine light comes on as a matter of course when starting and then goes off? I think it always has done.

The pump has been making a very slight rattling noise on and off over the past couple of months which I intended to sort, but as usual never got round
to it and I noticed over the last week a sort of slight humming coming from the front in the engine area only audible when sitting stationary.

I now have to get the car back to the dealer and see if they can investigate further as they really did not know why it played up, they did say if it was not the pump they would ' have to move towards the front of the car ' to see what the issue might be. Engine management? relays? I don't know.

Years ago I would have pulled the thing apart myself but everything is so unfriendly and technical now.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of fault? Could it be a relay the pump or is it the dreaded ECU?

Regards

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 20 January 2008, 09:43 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a plug under the rear seat that corrodes, check that
Old 20 January 2008, 09:46 AM
LICKLE DAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like an intermittent fuel pump to me. got an uprated one for 70 quid off ebay