engine trouble! any help much appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2008, 12:58 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine trouble! any help much appreciated

hey need a little help.!

i know this can only really be a judged guess but i was wondering if u could help me!

ive had a few problems with my 1995 wrx wagon recently when cold it was hesitant when cold when warm ran absouletly fine i thought this could be a dodgy coil pack so replaced all my coil packs,this did not do anything so i replaced my cold start sensor this also made no difference my engine management light started to come on so checked this the error codes stated knock sensor and map sensor changed both of these and the car drove beautifully for a few days then the cold running problem came back to haunt me driving to work i put my foot down a little (engine was at normal running temp) the car pulled strong then it just dipped the front end down and began running on three i lost all power and black smoke coming from the exhaust would not go above zero on the boost gauge so no boost,i finally got to work! the car just about idles slightly then dies when running its on three cylinders and i can here blowing from the engine bay i checked the de cat pipe ends and is not blowing from the turbo side or where it meets the exhaust further down i havent had any chance to look at any further as i had to go to london where i currently am but am going to look at it in more detail when i get back was just seeing if anyone had any ideas hopefully giving me a small headstart!

in case this helps heres the spec of the engine:
1995 wrx import wagon

td05 turbo
de cat pipe
hks exhaust
colder grade plugs ngk 7s
arc super induction box
chipped ecu running 1.15 bar of boost

any help would be much appreciated thankyou chris
Old 20 January 2008, 02:12 PM
spender
Scooby Regular

Have you replaced the MAF? If not I would.
Old 20 January 2008, 03:48 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like maf.
Old 20 January 2008, 04:32 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

could this honestly make it run this bad! as it will not boost at all and runs extremly lumpy for about thirty seconds then dies! i have no engine knocks though

thankyou for the help will look up maf sensors any other advice all is welcome thankkss guys/gals
Old 20 January 2008, 10:24 PM
young'n wrx
Scooby Regular

when my maf was dead it ran like crap almost stailing every time i stopped at lights etc its very commen for mafs to go!
Old 22 January 2008, 01:05 AM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

the problem is i cant even drive it it runs on three and throwing black smoke from the back and will create no boost whatsoever i will change the maf but i cant see something as severe as this being the map anyone?
Old 22 January 2008, 01:21 AM
p1dazza
Scooby Regular

I think you need to find someone that knows Scoobs and is respected in your local area. You may have done a lot of damage from what you describe.
Where do you live?
Old 22 January 2008, 01:31 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

i live in newquay cornwall so not many peeps around me know a few people that deal with scoobies i have it booked in for a compression test as im pretty sure its gonna be one of these three piston,rings,headgasket ive had mafs go on other cars and i know it causes rough running but this to me looks alot worse not that im saying u the guys who have helped me which i appreciated alot are wrong.just feels alot more substantial than an electronic sensor.

and i hate to say it as i love my wagon so much but if it comes to engine build for the money i have to spen i could buy another scooby so dont know if too strip it or not what do u get roughly when u have stripped them!?
Old 22 January 2008, 06:39 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

hi try these guys central subaru there very good on scoobs ,thats all they know!and deal in,i just had some work done and all is well again at a fair price and quick return.
Old 22 January 2008, 08:26 PM
pimpalicous
Scooby Regular

where are they based too? cheers chris