Notices

Nasty brake noise MY99 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2008, 04:25 PM
horizontally opposed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty brake noise MY99 turbo

In need of some help if possible. I have had the car 1 day and a problem already! The dealer I bought the car from fitted new disks and pads all round. The brakes squeal at low speed stoppings e.g. backing out of the garage. Do they just need a few hard stops to clear any glazing?

The second problem is quite worrying. After returning from a journey I turned right into my drive and the right rear brake started making some nasty noises. It basically sounds like a metallic binding noise for a part rotation of the wheel then a clunk as if something is releasing. I jacked up the rear and tried to rotate the wheel as much as possible, which was very little, it sounds like it is coming from between the disk and the metal cover behind it.

Any ideas? Should I risk a short drive to a garage (about a mile) or get a mobile mechanic out (any recommendations for South West London?)

Thanks in advance

G
Old 20 January 2008, 04:33 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

To start with the squeak going backwards is just a scooby thing so don't worry! You will need to do 100-200 miles of 'gentle' braking to wear in you brakes as they are new. They can sound like they are grinding, so bear with it. The rear noise, in my opinion is likely to be handbrake adjustment. Take it back to the place you purchased it from and get them to adjust it properly. Once you have got over these teething troubles enjoy life as an impreza owner.
Old 20 January 2008, 04:37 PM
fivealive
BANNED

Reference handbrake - drive at 30mph and gently apply pressure on the handbrake, pulling the lever up ..... keep the speed up for about 1/2 mile .... this stops mine from squealing and Subaru recommend it.
Old 20 January 2008, 04:39 PM
marks1
Scooby Regular

hi fella sounds like the garage has bent the tin plates behind your discs and maybe they are rubbing on your discs !!! not serious take your wheels off and have a good look see if anything rubbing ! at worst maybe a wheel bearing car jacked up wheel on brakes off wiggle it from top too bottom and side too side good luck
Old 20 January 2008, 05:00 PM
horizontally opposed
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you swift replies guy's. Sounds like I might have to pop to the garage and get them to have a gander, and send the dealer the bill if it was his doing.

You won't believe this but Womble of a dealer didn't put the key for the wheel nuts in the car and he is in Southampton!

I had a MY83 turbo in New Zealand 6 years ago and I can't remember, but are all the wheel nuts the opposite from other cars, I mean the tool goes into the nuts not over if you get whet I mean.

G
Old 20 January 2008, 05:17 PM
fivealive
BANNED

My Socket goes OVER the wheel nut ..... Classic MY00.
Old 25 January 2008, 07:13 PM
horizontally opposed
Scooby Regular

Thanks again people, all sorted now . It was the handbrake that was the problem- the dealer had fitted too large pins etc.

G