Notices

Would I Need A Re-map If Fitted De-cat Downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2008, 08:00 AM
daniel_3855
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Would I Need A Re-map If Fitted De-cat Downpipe?

hi would i need to have a remap if i fitted a de-cat downpipe to my 03 sti jdm or could i have it put on rolling road and have it set up ie boost mixtures air flow etc. as the re-map cost 600 and the rolling road tune cost 100 what do you think guys?
Old 01 February 2008, 08:49 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

How can you set up "boost mixtures air flow etc" on a RR without a remap??

The decat DP will help to spool the turbo earlier as there is less back pressure.....the map will need altering to suit.
Get it remapped! Not only will you be keeping your mods safe but you will be releasing the full potential from them.
Mike
Old 01 February 2008, 09:16 AM
daniel_3855
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Shmerman
How can you set up "boost mixtures air flow etc" on a RR without a remap??

The decat DP will help to spool the turbo earlier as there is less back pressure.....the map will need altering to suit.
Get it remapped! Not only will you be keeping your mods safe but you will be releasing the full potential from them.
Mike

hi mike thanks for reply. this place is called m-tech he tunes and preps rally cars for racing he said i dont need to get a re-map he can tune evrything in not sure what to do but my mate had a de-cat on his classic wrx and the guy put it on rolling road bhp was 234 then when he tuned it all in it was 266 and only cost £100 i dont no how he does it but do you think its worth geting it done
Old 01 February 2008, 10:21 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by daniel_3855
hi mike thanks for reply. this place is called m-tech he tunes and preps rally cars for racing he said i dont need to get a re-map he can tune evrything in not sure what to do but my mate had a de-cat on his classic wrx and the guy put it on rolling road bhp was 234 then when he tuned it all in it was 266 and only cost £100 i dont no how he does it but do you think its worth geting it done
No, get a remap!

This kind of thing HAS to be done properly mate; a poorly set up car could cost you an engine! There are lots of reputable ECUTEK tuners around, use one; it'll cost you about 600quid + vat but you'll get the best out of the car and it'll run safely.

ns04
Old 01 February 2008, 11:39 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daniel_3855

The Ecutek route is a tried and tested method. Once you have laid out the initial £600+ for the lecensing fee and mapping re-maps are only a fraction of the cost.

You will likely see a rise in power when sticking the decat DP on due to reasons mentioned in my original post. However this hike in power and earlier spool will result in you running lean -----> increased cylinder temps -----> det -----> rebuild.
For peace of mind go for the remap!

my mate had a de-cat on his classic wrx and the guy put it on rolling road bhp was 234 then when he tuned it all in it was 266 and only cost £100
He would probably have made 300 with a remap

Was the 234bph figure before the decat or, was this after the decat but before this place 'tuned the CAR'?

Cheers
Mike
Old 01 February 2008, 11:42 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Shmerman
The Ecutek route is a tried and tested method. Once you have laid out the initial £600+ for the lecensing fee and mapping re-maps are only a fraction of the cost.

You will likely see a rise in power when sticking the decat DP on due to reasons mentioned in my original post. However this hike in power and earlier spool will result in you running lean -----> increased cylinder temps -----> det -----> rebuild.
For peace of mind go for the remap!

He would probably have made 300 with a remap

Was the 234bph figure before the decat or, was this after the decat but before this place 'tuned the CAR'?

Cheers
Mike
Also, for all he knows, the bloke may have just fiddled with the dyno figures to produce a before and after result!

ECUTEK is the way to go, trust us on this one!

Ns04
Old 01 February 2008, 01:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New age STi's are alot different than wrx's (of any age) so a decat needs a remap.
If that guy in congleton builds rally cars for a living (and the place i pointed you to also build rally cars but theirs actually do races ) then id be suspicious of how hes going to get it to work without blowing your engine up!

Tony
Old 01 February 2008, 02:13 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

As mentioned there is no way that boost,ignition timing and fuelling can be alterred otjher than a remap. I had my 205 RR tuned for £100 but this has carbs which can be manually adjusted and altered to change the A/F ratio and the mix etc it also has a dizzy which can be adjusted for ignition timing. However a suabru does all this through a ecu so the operator on the RR cant do alot other than monitor how the cars running and decide whether its safe with decat or not.
Seeing as your in Manchester you are quite close to scoobyclinic etc probably a 2 hour drive at the most. Dont risk the engine and get a pro remap
Old 01 February 2008, 02:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Already pointed him in the direction of Prosport

Tony