New here - question about downpipe on STI PPP

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2008, 08:10 PM
dzicky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here - question about downpipe on STI PPP

Hello all

Whilst not being new to scoobs, I am new here but have lurked for some time so think you probably know the answer to this

We have a 2003 STI PPP and have been told that a bracket which holds the downpipe, including cat, to the gearbox has sheared away, ripping a hole in the cat. Subaru UK state that the "Proven" warranty doesn't cover this (which seems a bit tight to me) and want about £900 to replace it

My question is, can I replace this with an aftermarket part which won't upset either the emissions or the various sensors that need it? I'm not fussed about decatting it but anything I buy would have to fit straight onto the existing stuff as I'm not in the market for a complete system.

Any ideas (short of robbing a bank) gratefully received!

Cheers

Richard
Old 05 February 2008, 08:20 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

New Prodrive downpipe cat from ebay if you want to keep it standard. Personally I'd go down the H&S sport cat route if it was mine.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:34 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dzicky
Hello all

Whilst not being new to scoobs, I am new here but have lurked for some time so think you probably know the answer to this

We have a 2003 STI PPP and have been told that a bracket which holds the downpipe, including cat, to the gearbox has sheared away, ripping a hole in the cat. Subaru UK state that the "Proven" warranty doesn't cover this (which seems a bit tight to me) and want about £900 to replace it

My question is, can I replace this with an aftermarket part which won't upset either the emissions or the various sensors that need it? I'm not fussed about decatting it but anything I buy would have to fit straight onto the existing stuff as I'm not in the market for a complete system.

Any ideas (short of robbing a bank) gratefully received!

Cheers

Richard
can you not remove cat get the bracket welded back on to the cat to seal it up again?then angle grind just the part that goes to gearbox off so it does not happen again.

should be ok not bolted to the gearbox as aftermarket ones do not do this anyway.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:57 PM
dzicky
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
can you not remove cat get the bracket welded back on to the cat to seal it up again?then angle grind just the part that goes to gearbox off so it does not happen again.

should be ok not bolted to the gearbox as aftermarket ones do not do this anyway.
Yeah, maybe - my local dealer *guessed* that this would cost about £250 and couldn't guarantee that welding it up would be even possible

Not sure I'd bother with them doing the work as £72 / hour sounds a lot to me...

I think they're bitter as the warranty runs out tomorrow and they already had to replace the gearbox, brake discs and rear suspension
Old 06 February 2008, 11:31 AM
dzicky
Scooby Newbie

Any more for any more?