Notices

My Impreza won't move!

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2008, 09:41 AM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Impreza won't move!

3 weeks ago my car hit a giant pothole totally destroying two of my alloys, i managed to drive the car home the following day using my spare wheel and borrowing an alloy off a member from here.

Ever since the car has been up on axle stands until i can afford new alloys. Every week i've started it up just to make sure the battery is still alive.

Last weekend i cleared some spare in the garage so the car could live in there for a while, however, last weekend i put some alloys on the car ready to drive her into the garage and the car wouldn't move at all...

The handbrake was released and the car was in gear, but it felt as if the handbrake was still on, as no matter how many revs i was putting into drive forward, the car wouldn't budge.

The brakes have no seized are i can clearly see the gap between the the brakes and the discs.

I jacked up the car and the rear wheels will not rotate with any force included. The front wheels will move with alot of force, and while doing this the rear wheels are clicking as i'm rotating the front.

A few friends have told me the problem could be the diffuser, however i can't see how this would make sense as the car drove home perfect 3 weeks ago.

I was hoping one of you guys had an idea as to what the problem could be before i have to get a flatbed recovery truck to take it to a garage!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Grant
Old 10 February 2008, 10:12 AM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

there might be a gap between the disks but the hand break is shoes and drum type it sounds to me there locked on due to rust and been stood etc. try rocking it back and forth in reverse then first gears for a bit i have to do this with my transit van if been on holiday for a bit the back end just drags down the road so just reverse it back and they bang free.
Old 10 February 2008, 10:15 AM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy, i'll give that a try. However i would've thought trying to drive the car in forward and reverse would have released the handbrakes grip?

I hope you're right though and it's nothing too serious!
Old 10 February 2008, 10:18 AM
winker
Scooby Regular

Hi agree with andy if jerking the car in reverse does not work u will have to take of rear wheels and try to realease shoes with a good hammer .
Old 10 February 2008, 10:20 AM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, going out to try it now so will keep you updated
Old 10 February 2008, 10:23 AM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

hope it works but try more in reverse than forward as the leading edge of the shoe clamps on more in forwads. would of thoght this was the problem as you say you can turn front wheels with force but they do take alot of force to move them as your fighting the diff as well. reverse gear clutch up and down little revs
Old 10 February 2008, 01:12 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

Finally got it to move! Had to hit the brake discs back and forth with a hammer to free it, took about absolutely ages but got there in the end. Now the car is sitting in the garage on axle stands until i can afford new rims when i get back from Rome

Thanks for all your help guys i appreciate it!

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2008, 01:56 PM
calorgaz
Scooby Regular

Have you tried having a go at the council where the potholes were? They should, if the road is adopted, maintain it to a satisfactory standard. Sounds to me like you have good reason ro claim against them.

If you can get over there and take some photos of the pothole as evidence and submit them with your letter. That way they can't go out and sneakily fix the hole and say there was never one there.

CG
Old 10 February 2008, 03:13 PM
cmed
Scooby Regular

get some photos asap and ring a no claim no fee about it matey
Old 10 February 2008, 04:18 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

I've not been back up to the lane that caused the damage as it's dark by the time i finish work on weekdays and i'm usually busy weekends. However i might take a trip up there now as i'm not doing anything... Will definitely claim off the council as two of my alloys now look like this:

Old 10 February 2008, 04:28 PM
green un
Scooby Regular

a pot hole done that?
Old 10 February 2008, 05:17 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spyd
I've not been back up to the lane that caused the damage as it's dark by the time i finish work on weekdays and i'm usually busy weekends. However i might take a trip up there now as i'm not doing anything... Will definitely claim off the council as two of my alloys now look like this:

looking at them rims it was more like a bomb crater than a pot hole they are fuked

defo try claiming off council for not keeping road in good order,that is what road tax is for after all.

going back to the handbrake stuck on,while up on stands i would get rear discs off to clean drum and shoes, put some copper slip on contact points on back plate and adjust em up.hopefully it will not happen again then.
Old 10 February 2008, 06:35 PM
dan17
Scooby Regular

holy crap!!
Old 10 February 2008, 07:30 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

jesus!

a hole big enough to do that is an accident waiting to happen - if someone hits it at too much speed, it'll have them off the road!