Removed bonnet scoop undertray

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2008, 09:40 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile Removed bonnet scoop undertray

I have one of the STi 8 copy scoops on my 2002 WRX, the idea being to get more air to the larger intercooler I fitted.

I also bought the undertray from the STi 7 as recommended on most forums.

I just fitted it without really taking much notice but noticed the bonnet vibrating at high speed and wondered could it be related to the bigger scoop ?

I removed the undertray today and noticed that half of the air is going over the top of the vent on the undertray and hitting the back of the scoop with nowhere left to go, this probably explains the bonnet vibration.

I then considered drilling the spot welds on the undertray and cutting and bending the metalwork to get more air to the I/C, fabricating any extra metalwork if necessary. This seemed like it might be tricky / time consuming so I thought I might try the lazy mans option and try it with no undertray at all !

Result !!!!!!!! no bonnet vibration, car seems to pick up a little better and the whole intercooler is cold to the touch after a good run. If I could be bothered I could take some before and after temperature readings but I'm satisfied that it's an improvement.

By the way, I do have mesh in my scoop so should avoid major intercooler damage by not having the undertray fitted.
Old 11 February 2008, 09:08 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheVoices
I have one of the STi 8 copy scoops on my 2002 WRX, the idea being to get
Result !!!!!!!! no bonnet vibration, car seems to pick up a little better and the whole intercooler is cold to the touch after a good run. If I could be bothered I could take some before and after temperature readings but I'm satisfied that it's an improvement.
Try and touch the IC DURING the good run - you may have a diffent opinion about running without a tray. It is there for a job.
If using an STi8 scoop then use an STi8 tray- they are much bigger than the bugeye version.

nick
Old 11 February 2008, 10:02 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero Sports Cool Action.....
Old 11 February 2008, 07:46 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they undertray forces air through the core of the intercooler, without the undertray the air just hits the top, some goes through the core but most is just goes to waste.

i have the sti8 scoop on mine and have modified the undertray to allow all the air to go through the core.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:49 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

i have just fitted one of these scoops but am also fitting a front mount. has anyone got a set up like this? what have they done with all that air ???
Old 11 February 2008, 09:19 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

A few people have fitted oil coolers in place of the TMIC when fitting the FMIC, personally id make an undertray to point as much air as possible on the turbo if you plan on keeping the scoop.
Old 11 February 2008, 09:23 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

that was my thought too, to simply keep the exhaust cool.

either that or point the air at the Air filter