Notices

Understeer? - MY06 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2008, 02:59 PM
BennyP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Understeer? - MY06 WRX

Hi all. I bought my first scoob back in October. It’s a UK MY06 2.5 WRX and for the most part I have been really pleased with it. The thing is, I have been surprised by how much it under steers and I am not talking at high speeds either.

The other night I was coming out of a car park and had to go all the way round a fairly big island and back down a dual carriage way. The road was a bit damp, but I was only doing 20mph in second and as I turned in the car just carried on in a straight line. Fortunately I had 3 lanes to use before it gripped and straightened up, but otherwise it could have been dangerous, rather than just making me look like a muppet.

I know there is lots of advice on what suspension setup to go for, but I am more concerned about whether this is normal for a standard car? To be honest my confidence has taken a major hit. If it does this at low speeds, I don’t have a lot of faith at higher speeds. The tyres have plenty of tread and pressures are all fine.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben
Old 11 February 2008, 03:39 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The that understeer sounds a bit extreme mate.

What tyres have you got on there esp the fronts. Allignment would be the next call?

Do go spending lots on suspension mods you might not need yet mate.

Ns04
Old 11 February 2008, 03:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

can be a number of reasons, could be crap tyres, crap geometry on the wheel/tyres, could be crap on the road or is this normal for the car?

if normal then a uprated Rear antiroll bar should be a big help and shouldn't break the bank
Old 11 February 2008, 03:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cold Bridgestone REO50's do that. Also get the alignment done as it is surprising the difference a proper set up can make, its also surprising how scary a badly set up alignment can be ! My WRX initially was a nightmare on right turns, when I saw the alignment readout it was hardly surprising. Right wheel was facing far more straight on as the the left wheel was turning in.