Notices

self engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2008, 07:05 PM
old bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self engine rebuild

im soon to be getting a ej20 lump which we believe is going to be closed deck as already fitted to my 94 wrx, im currently running 325/305 with autronic tdo5 550's fmic etc etc, my engine is fine but i want more power so plan to rebuild this other engine over a period of time when funds allow, my aim is to get 400 plus bhp obviously with the right turbo, i would like to do as much of the rebuild myself as possible which i'm capable of doing but its knowing wot to put inside, ie wot size pistons do i need, can i run standard size? wots the best crank to use? would this affect the size of the pistons that i need, is it worth saving for a stroker kit? didnt really wanna go 2.5 route, if so is it possible to bore a closed deck to 2.2?, heads, will standard sti V5/6 heads be good enough, or would it be better getting standard wrx ones ported and polished, best cams? the list goes on but i hope you see wot im trying to get at, there is obviously a limit to wot i wanna spend,and im not being tight and expecting to do it for 2k either, but dont wanna cut corners, if it means a little bit more time and bit more money then so be it, am i being realistic with aimed power figure?

thanks in advance for any help!

Darren
Old 11 February 2008, 07:13 PM
bryhp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Version 3 or 4 sti heads although version 3 will be more aggressive. Wrx heads will see 400 but may as well future proof your car with arp head steads its all the wee things that cost. new age 2 and a half letter balanced cam and 79mm pistons conected to either of above heads would give you a nice revvy 2.1cc. Need to price up things like pistons rods, head gaskets, head studs. porting polishing and skimming heads, bearings and all other stuff i've missed!!!

Bry