Notices

performance on boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2008, 09:02 PM
Morgy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance on boost?

Ive never had a car with a turbo before and wondered if this was normal. When the turbo first spools up (in say 3rd gear) the pick up is damn fine, but after about 5500 rpm it stops picking up as well and seems to slow down. I'll try and explain it differently, when the turbo engages it goes like hell, should it keep going like this until the max revs available are reached. If not how do i increase the length of "going like hell " time?
Old 12 February 2008, 10:55 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Morgy
Ive never had a car with a turbo before and wondered if this was normal. When the turbo first spools up (in say 3rd gear) the pick up is damn fine, but after about 5500 rpm it stops picking up as well and seems to slow down. I'll try and explain it differently, when the turbo engages it goes like hell, should it keep going like this until the max revs available are reached. If not how do i increase the length of "going like hell " time?
TD04 turbo? Std on UK classics. Do a search on this subject, it is vast. A good start would be to look up the 'New Scooby 04' (NS04) thread - very informative and he may even put some response to your OP.
dnc
Old 13 February 2008, 09:17 AM
New_scooby_04

You rang?

Info here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html

Basically if you have the TD04, restricted performance at 5500 at above is to be expected; it's a teeny turbo and can't operate at high boost higher up in the rev range. It's not as simple as wacking a new turbo on there though; you need supporting mods.

Read the thread and have a word with David at APi. Ask him about the Ns04 conversion

Ns04
Old 13 February 2008, 10:29 AM
Morgy
Scooby Regular

Ive just read your thread and i must say it was a good read. My car (classic wrx 96) has a tdo5 turbo and a couple of other performance mods, sports cat(100 cell) downpipe leading to apexi 3" straight through, upgraded panel filter, lightened pulleys, a waldboro fuel pump and i think thats pretty much it. Ive also got a slightly larger tmic(my03)to put on it but haven't braved it yet. I havent had it remapped because until quite recently i didnt know that its the way to go, like previously owned cars i thought you simple add mods and away you go. Ive read somewhere on here that not all ecu's can be remapped and have to be upgraded, is this true? if so i'll have to av a look at mine and see what model it is

Last edited by Morgy; 13 February 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 13 February 2008, 12:19 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your ecu (most probably a z4) cannot be mapped as such but Enduring Solutions Limited (has a list of dealers on the site) do a remappable daughter board that can be soldered into the spare slot of your ecu.
Old 13 February 2008, 05:56 PM
Morgy
Scooby Regular

Ive actually got one of these already (Fujitsu Industries 27C1028) and it was originally mapped to

Increase the boost electronically to 16psi, improve the turbo spool up time,
map the ignition and fuelling to match the new boost settings.
Remove the Japanese 112mph speed limiter setting.
Retain all of the original Subaru safety features and checks built into the OEM item. And main reason for originally buying it was mapped to run safely on UK 97 Ron super unleaded fuel.

Is it possible to have it remapped to suit my cars recent mods or would it be better to buy a newer ecu, one that can be fully mapped properly?
Old 13 February 2008, 06:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

ahh its the old cheery of 'driver getting used to the power'

lol, you've just got used to it mate, need more to get the same feel again. i've had 340 for about 4 months now and i'm getting used to that.

buggers, my cards only just come back from repairs from the last melting session, o well, may as well kill the new one,,, pmsl
Old 13 February 2008, 06:08 PM
Morgy
Scooby Regular

that sounds about right. When i first got the car (my 1st scooby) i was blown away with the performance, now it doesn't seem so impressive, i want more, now.
Old 13 February 2008, 06:36 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morgy
Ive actually got one of these already (Fujitsu Industries 27C1028) and it was originally mapped to

Increase the boost electronically to 16psi, improve the turbo spool up time,
map the ignition and fuelling to match the new boost settings.
Remove the Japanese 112mph speed limiter setting.
Retain all of the original Subaru safety features and checks built into the OEM item. And main reason for originally buying it was mapped to run safely on UK 97 Ron super unleaded fuel.

Is it possible to have it remapped to suit my cars recent mods or would it be better to buy a newer ecu, one that can be fully mapped properly?
those chips can't be remapped *as far as i know) so you will have to replace the ecu or go with the enduring solutions daughter board
Old 14 February 2008, 01:02 PM
Morgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
those chips can't be remapped *as far as i know) so you will have to replace the ecu or go with the enduring solutions daughter board
Have just found out that you are indeed correct, joy. The list of wants is forever growing but my bank balance is not, never mind, if i spend it all the missus can't.
Old 28 February 2008, 11:31 AM
Morgy
Scooby Regular

Ive just had a look at my ecu and it is a 3B, is it possible for this sort to be mapped