Notices

FMIC fitted

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2008, 11:02 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC fitted

Well i finally pulled my finger out and actually did some work on the car, it was a lovely weekend so that helped!!

Autobahn FMIC now fitted, along with a Forge atos DV, sounds lovely, chatter at low boost and dump at higher boost. Car is pulling very very well! boost had crept up a bit maybe becuase of the cooler air and better combustion? so need to knock that back a bit.

I fitted some new rad hoses while i was doing it so all in all jobs a goodun! a well spent weekend. I've put a pic in "view my scooby" if you wanted to see, pretty much the same as all the others out there but i am very happy with it, the joy of driving has returned with avengence!

Dave
Old 13 February 2008, 02:22 PM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

nice pics mate. i've just ordered my autobahn fmic yesterday. gonna order the downpipe and 100 cell race cat from scoobyworld soon. did you notice a significant difference after fitting the fmic?

Last edited by bigfella; 14 February 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 13 February 2008, 02:43 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

I've currently got the cat on but i'm going to swap that soon and i guess should feel even better then, as when i went back to the cat the boost was lower and was obviously quieter, with the fmic i now get a massive hit of power at about 4500rpm, it is spooling nicely before this but thats the point it takes off now, feels really good! and my boost is running slightly higher now which i find strange, actually i wonder if i DID have a boost leak before! now i think of it perhaps i have cured another problem in fitting this, i was getting 270bhp before (1bar) but the boost was always a bit sluggush, now its awesome, boost comes in like Thors hammer, really happy with it!!

I've always been a fan of FMIC's ever since i fitted one to my Renault 5 many years ago!

Dave
Old 13 February 2008, 02:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Hope you had it mapped before you went out and "thors hammered" it
Old 13 February 2008, 02:52 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you buy the length of silicon hose that you have used next to the washer resevoir? Am about to change the pipework on mine (due to a boost leak) and will be needing a decent lenght of silicon hose of the correct diameter.
Cheers
Will
Old 13 February 2008, 02:59 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Can't get it mapped mate have no way of doing it! i'll be getting a Powerfc, injectors and pump soon. There are also alot of early scoobys running FMIC with no trouble, its only 1 bar and a Z4, nothing crazy.

i actually got it from my friendly local tuners, its 63mm usually about 35 quid a metre.

Dave
Old 13 February 2008, 03:02 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

it will be going on the rollers very shortly though just be be sure, as long the the Lamda doesn't drop too far under 0.8 all should be good. otherwise the boost will have to be dropped back untill the poer fc is done.

Dave
Old 13 February 2008, 03:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Claaarkio
Can't get it mapped mate have no way of doing it! i'll be getting a Powerfc, injectors and pump soon. There are also alot of early scoobys running FMIC with no trouble, its only 1 bar and a Z4, nothing crazy.

i actually got it from my friendly local tuners, its 63mm usually about 35 quid a metre.

Dave
have you at least got a knocklink on there mate? If not the first sign of trouble might be the only one! It may well be ok, but the only sensible advice would be, unless you can afford the rebuild, drive off boost till the remap!

Ns04
Old 13 February 2008, 03:18 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

No Knock link, if it goes it goes, i'd just upgrade the bits that break. I can get to work on bike / lifts so its not the end of the world, i'm quite mechanically adept and look upon breakages as challanges to overcome!

I dont drive it hard very often anyway, rarely get out of 3rd gear on the commute to and from work!

Like i say i'll get it on the rollers anyway, be interesting to know what gains have been made since the last run

Dave
Old 13 February 2008, 03:19 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Out of interest are there any documented instances of people adding a FMIC, then getting detonation and melting pistons / cracking blocks / blowing head gaskets etc etc ?
Old 13 February 2008, 03:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Out of interest are there any documented instances of people adding a FMIC, then getting detonation and melting pistons / cracking blocks / blowing head gaskets etc etc ?
I don't know personally mate, but I can tell you that everyone I have spoken to about this mod, including several suppliers of the FMIC, my mapper, and several other tuners have all said the same thing: you need a remap, or there is a risk of nipping a piston.

Ns04
Old 13 February 2008, 03:45 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

I don't know personally mate, but I can tell you that everyone I have spoken to about this mod, including several suppliers of the FMIC, my mapper, and several other tuners have all said the same thing: you need a remap, or there is a risk of nipping a piston.
I am trying to think this through ...
Adding a FMIC allows you to run more spark advance and should therefore make more power, but you would only see the improvement with a remap.
The FMIC would also increase the charge density (colder air = more dense), which might make the car run lean? If the car is running lean, it might have more power, but you risk running into detonation or excessively high exhaust temps which can cause other issues too.

Would be interested for someone who knows for sure, to post up why it shouldn't be done, but that's the best I can come up with.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:50 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiFreak
I am trying to think this through ...
Adding a FMIC allows you to run more spark advance and should therefore make more power, but you would only see the improvement with a remap.
The FMIC would also increase the charge density (colder air = more dense), which might make the car run lean? If the car is running lean, it might have more power, but you risk running into detonation or excessively high exhaust temps which can cause other issues too.

Would be interested for someone who knows for sure, to post up why it shouldn't be done, but that's the best I can come up with.
Thats basically it mate, the standard ecu wont start advancing the spark i wouldn't have thought? i would guess its got a conservative grid from which to work out the fueling / timing.

The second point you made is the one that needs investigation, the higher oxygen content in the cooler charged air is what causes the mixture to become leaner, and thus create more power, getting this as close to perfect and holding it is the holy grail!

dave

Last edited by Claaarkio; 13 February 2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13 February 2008, 03:54 PM
New_scooby_04

This is what Harvey, who knows a thing or two about FMICs had to say on the issue:

"Fitting an efficient FMIC without a remap is foolhardy. You MIGHT get away with it but there is a chance you will not and nipping a piston in the bore from weak running or destroying an engine from DET is an expensive experience and a hard learned lesson.

What is certain is that without a remap you will only achieve partial performane from your set up. Why spend money to improve performance, accept only a partial gain and create a risk situation that threatens the well being of your engine?

The more mods you have the more essential the remap with the FMIC.
Surely the best course is to save up until you can afford an ECU or re-map. Far more sensible and probably cheaper with more enjoyment in the long run.

The reason for fitting an FMIC is to reduce charge temperatures. A colder charge is denser and requires more fuel. Because of the FMIC the shape of the map will also be somewhat different and without proper mapping you will have increased lag and delayed spool.

An FMIC should not be regarded as a fashion accessory. It is not a pice of bling. Don't fit it if you don't need it but almost every Classic regardless of year, WRX or STi will have high charge temperatures as the car is tuned above 300 bhp and earlier cars before that point. New Age cars have a more efficient set up and by the STi 8, Subaru have substantially addressed the deficiencies of the earlier cars but highly tuned cars will still suffer from high charge temperatures as there is a limit to what the TMIC design can handle."
Old 13 February 2008, 04:05 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

My version1 TMIC was starting to get inefficient at about 1 bar, i also have a feeling it was leaking boost somewhere!

I guess it does vary from car to car as to what the FMIC will actually effect, when i get it on the rollers i'll be able to tell if the fueling is OK. at least then i'll be able to say with certainty that MY car is ok, (not able to speak for others).

Dave
Old 13 February 2008, 04:38 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My version1 TMIC was starting to get inefficient at about 1 bar, i also have a feeling it was leaking boost somewhere!

I guess it does vary from car to car as to what the FMIC will actually effect, when i get it on the rollers i'll be able to tell if the fueling is OK. at least then i'll be able to say with certainty that MY car is ok, (not able to speak for others).

Dave
Its only one example but mine has been on for 14 months with an ESL postal chip with no engine problems (1993WRX)

Had constant problems with the intercooler itself, its got a persistant boost leak. Would have had it mapped way before now but I just have not had the time to fix the boost leak hence a remap would be a waste. Will hopefully get round to it over the next few weeks now I have the pipework sorted out.
Old 13 February 2008, 05:10 PM
grizz237
Scooby Regular

fitted the same one to my car at the weekend 99 uk turbo and made a nice improvement made it a lot smoother too
Old 13 February 2008, 05:15 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grizz237
fitted the same one to my car at the weekend 99 uk turbo and made a nice improvement made it a lot smoother too
it was obviously the FMIC weekend then mate!! lol
Old 13 February 2008, 06:59 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave

Your friendly tuner advises that you purchase a SimTek instead of the APexi and do away with the MAF m8.....
Old 14 February 2008, 09:10 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

LOL, get in there mate

cheers again for the pipe!

Dave
Old 14 February 2008, 09:53 AM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

went to power engineering a month ago and spoke to 1 of the guys down there. he advised that with an fmic, downpipe, 100 cell race cat and my blitz system, i wouldn't need a re-map and he personally wouldn't advise it. seem to get a lot of mixed reactions! just want to be sure of what to do as i want the best for my scooby. i've only had it 7 months!
Old 19 February 2008, 10:51 AM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Well its been on the rolling road, the decat is now back on and it produced rather astonishing figures! Fuelling is fine, and produced 255 at the wheels (calculated 301 at fly) with 283lb torque

I thought it was going well!

the RR guys were impressed too

Dave
Old 19 February 2008, 03:50 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by bigfella
went to power engineering a month ago and spoke to 1 of the guys down there. he advised that with an fmic, downpipe, 100 cell race cat and my blitz system, i wouldn't need a re-map and he personally wouldn't advise it. seem to get a lot of mixed reactions! just want to be sure of what to do as i want the best for my scooby. i've only had it 7 months!

Frankly, that's complete BS! I find it hard to believe that someone at PE came out with such a remark.

At the best, you won't get anywhere near the full benefits from your mods, at the worst, you'll bugger the engine!

Remap by someone who knows what they're doing is by far the most sensible thing to do!!

Ns04
Old 19 February 2008, 05:02 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its been on the rolling road, the decat is now back on and it produced rather astonishing figures! Fuelling is fine, and produced 255 at the wheels (calculated 301 at fly) with 283lb torque

I thought it was going well!

the RR guys were impressed too

Dave
You didn't use a different rolling road from your last one did you Dave , makes the figures meaningless.....lol....
Old 19 February 2008, 11:15 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
You didn't use a different rolling road from your last one did you Dave , makes the figures meaningless.....lol....
lol yeah i know mate, but its good pub ammo!!