Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2008, 04:17 PM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWAGE-LUMPY RIDE-LOW TICKOVER-FREQUENT STALLS

HERE'S ONE FOR YOU
I HAVE A 2003 WRX,IT TICKS OVER AT 500-700 RPM HARDLY EVER 1000
IT HAS WHAT CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS A LUMPY ACCELERATION WITH VERY SLIGHT FLAT SPOTS.
I HAVE CLEANED THE GREEN STUFF FILTER AND REPLACED THE MAF AIR FLOW THINGY WITH ANOTHER USED ONE OFF A 20K WR1.
THE CAR STALLS WHEN YOU REDUCE SPEED UP TO A JUNCTION QUITE FREQUENT (TWICE A WEEK) AN MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK YOU CAN FEEL THE STEERING GETTIG STIFF AS ITS JUST ABOUT TO STALL BUT CAN JUST CATCH AND STOP IT WITH A BLIP OF THE ACCELERATOR.
I AM RUNNING ON UNLEADED SUPER AND I KNOW THAT A GOOD SUPPLY OF CLEAN AIR IS GETTING IN SO I CAN ONLY PRESUME THAT WHEN IT WAS SERVICED BY FORD JUST BEFORE I BOUGHT IT THEY DID NOT CHANGE THE PLUGS? I AM NOT AT ALL MECHANICAL AND THE CAR IS DUE A SERVICE AGAIN NEXT MONTH BUT AS ITS THE 50K SERVICE AND THE CAR HAS ONLY DONE 39K ITS NOT DUE PLUGS (IN THEORY) AM I BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE OR IS SPARK PLUGS THE ANSWER TO MY WO'S? ANY TIPS OR ADVICE WELCOME BEFORE I PAY FOR A 5 HOUR DIAGNOSTIC STRIP DOWN
Old 15 February 2008, 04:19 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

You havent got an aftermarket dumpvalve have you? if so get the original one back on asap
Old 15 February 2008, 04:21 PM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
You havent got an aftermarket dumpvalve have you? if so get the original one back on asap
NO I DID HAVE MAYBE A YEAR AGO BUT I CHANGED BACH AFTER A FEW DAYS AS IT RAN PANTS,THAT WAS A MIGHTY FAST REPLY BY THE WAY THANKS
Old 15 February 2008, 04:21 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for split hoses
Old 15 February 2008, 04:23 PM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Check for split hoses
THANKS FOR THAT I WILL MAKE A NOT FOR MY SERVICE CHAPPIE TO CHECK THEM.
Old 15 February 2008, 04:24 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

as above it could be something like a split intercooler pipe which would make the car really lumpy also make sure the MAF sensor is plugged all the way home sometimes if its been unplugged its not always clicked home upon reconnection
Old 15 February 2008, 04:29 PM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
as above it could be something like a split intercooler pipe which would make the car really lumpy also make sure the MAF sensor is plugged all the way home sometimes if its been unplugged its not always clicked home upon reconnection
GREAT THANKS MATE I WILL MAKE A LIST FOR MY MAN TO CHECK ALSO I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO CLEAN THE MAF GLASS BULB WITH SOMETHING LIKE CARB CLEANER IS THIS RIGHT AND IS IT SAFE IN THE AIR LINE?
Old 15 February 2008, 06:28 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHRISROGERS-PPP
GREAT THANKS MATE I WILL MAKE A LIST FOR MY MAN TO CHECK ALSO I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO CLEAN THE MAF GLASS BULB WITH SOMETHING LIKE CARB CLEANER IS THIS RIGHT AND IS IT SAFE IN THE AIR LINE?

yes use some carb cleaner and allow to dry naturally,you can also use the carb cleaner to check for air leaks.
while idling have a spray around inlet manifold gaskets and pipework any change in revs while spraying would indicate an air leak.
another possible cause could be the front lambda sensor.
Old 16 February 2008, 08:41 AM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
yes use some carb cleaner and allow to dry naturally,you can also use the carb cleaner to check for air leaks.
while idling have a spray around inlet manifold gaskets and pipework any change in revs while spraying would indicate an air leak.
another possible cause could be the front lambda sensor.
BRILLIANT THANKYOU VERY MUCH
Old 16 February 2008, 09:27 AM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

IS EVERONE OF THE OPINION ITS NOT THE SPARK PLUGS THEN?,AS ITS £9 A PLUG AND 30- 45 IN LABOUR TO GET THEM CHANGED.
THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS.
Old 17 February 2008, 09:27 AM
ozbod1
Scooby Regular

prob not spark plugs but it wont hurt having new ones, your problem could be many things, has it thrown a engine light?? you can test your maf by unplugging while its running if it stalls its fine but it will throw a engine light, may be an idea to get it plugged in to see if its got or stored any?? also a check around the engine for bad/corroded conections wires earths sensors etc might be worth it...hope this helps
Old 17 February 2008, 08:47 PM
CHRISROGERS-PPP
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that the airbag light comes on every few week and stays on for a week or so then goes off however last month it came on when it stalled at a junction and never went off? don't know if this is related as last time i had it reset it could not find a fault code so i don't know if its a seat belt pre tensioner or not? i will unplug the maf on idle tomorrow and see if she stalls , its due a service in the 2-3 week so i will have the ecu reset again when it goes in.