Notices

Slipping belt

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2008, 11:58 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slipping belt

I Think the belt that drives the air conditioning compressor on MY2003 STi is slipping, i get a really loud squeeling noise when i start the car up, which disapears when i gently rev the engine. It also happened on the way home last night, but knocikng the car out of gear then again gently reving the engine made it stop.

Is it ok to take the belt off and see if the noise is present without it in place .

Also is replacing it as simple as just reataching a new one or does the tensioner have to be slackened off to get it over the pulleys
Old 05 March 2008, 12:34 PM
RAMP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see how far you can turn the belt when cold,It should twist about 90 degrees,If its more than this then tighten it up and the noise should go away as long as the belt is not too worn,It will slip more from cold and under load if the tension is not correct.
Old 05 March 2008, 12:51 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Looking at the tensioner theres the 2 bolts at the top that attach to the block then the bolt at the bottom that attaches the wheel/Pulley. Theres also a long threaded bolt that is attached on the left hand side of the tensioner.

Whats the best way of going about incresing the tension? Just loosen the bolt at the bottom or is it summin to do with the long threaded bolt on the left handside?
Old 05 March 2008, 05:51 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lower bolt on the pulley clamps the pulley to the bracket, so you need to slacken this slightly & then by turning the long bolt you will tighten/slacken the belt.

Don't forget to re-tighten the lower bolt.

If you need to fit a new belt then you will have to slacken the tensioner by quite a way to allow fittment of the new one.

If you want to run your engine with the belts removed, this is fine as the water pump is driven by the cam belt, so your engine won't overheat.

Phil
Old 05 March 2008, 06:05 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Cheers Phil.

I'm now thinking it might be the Alternator/ Power Steering belt as when i left work the other day and it made the noise the steering went very heavy. I'd imagine this would be associated with a slipping belt???