Notices

Blown dump valve = Blown turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2008, 11:49 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blown dump valve = Blown turbo ?

Just looking for a bit of reassurance I've diagnosed this one right.

UK 97 Turbo 138K on the clock

Pretty sure my dump valve has broken, the car was making a whistling noise that got louder over a couple of days and I had zero positive boost. (Other threads covered this)

Was hoping to sort this out this evening as I have a replacement coming from APi today.

Sadly though yesterday horrible blue smoke, made me drop the down pipe and turbo dead.

Would I be right in thinking if the dump valve goes then the turbo will spin itself to destruction trying to make normal boost pressure?

An expensive mistake using the car while waiting for new dump value. I didn't drive it hard but I was on the M1 for my commute

You live and learn and pay when you get it wrong.
Oh well
Old 10 March 2008, 09:09 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the lack of boost and the whistling noise suggests a big (and growing) boost leak between the turbo and the inlet manifold somewhere, not necessarily the DV.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:41 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Deffinately a big hole somewhere - pretty sure one of the small pipes couldn't do this and intercooler and turbo - IC and IC - inlet large bore pipes are fine.

Can't be sure it is dump valve yet as turbo off for a recon, but I'm guessing by looking on Scoobynet about the noise.

But - do you think turbo would spin itself to bits because of leak between turbo outlet and engine?
Old 11 March 2008, 10:52 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I would have thought wastegate problems would cause the turbo to spin itself to death. The Dump valve is just dumping what the turbo has produced?

I think it is just your turbo gone, is it the original and so done 138k?
Old 11 March 2008, 11:06 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Not original - it's a hybrid TD04 running 1.3bar and I love it, but it's only done about 20K.

I went away for 10days left car with my girlfriend and now it's goosed. She's not very good at lieing and said she reved it very hard once at roundabout when she changed her mind about pulling away. If it was freezing cold (as it was a couple of weeks ago) maybe she did do some damge not being gentle on warm up.

I haven't blamed her (I know which side my toast is buttered), I'm just looking for an explaination.

I'll ask the turbo guys what they think of course.

I'll have a look at dump valve tonight (if it's not peeing down)