Notices

Remap question

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2008, 08:44 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap question

I going to get an ecutek remap on the 25th March. The Jolly Green Monster is coming out to me. My current mods are:-

H&S Backbox,
H&S Center Decat,
Green Panel Filter.

I know it's not alot but you have to start somewhere!

Simon at JGM said that with these few mods I could expect to see 265bhp and a similar torque figure after mapping. It sounds good stat wise, but in terms of real life performance will it make that much difference.

Then I thought, seen as I'm having this done why not buy a decat up-pipe and sports cat downpipe before the map. I was told that you can't really do one without the other because of the up-pipe pre-cat breaking up under extra boost, after remap. It also seems resonable that while your undoing nuts and bolts you should do them together. Please help me make a decision. Is it worth the hassle of the u/p and d/p fitting? How hard are they to fit? If I decide on u/p, d/p then do I have to spend money of silicon hoses or upgrade other components?

I don't want to go down the road of fuel pump, large injectors, bigger turbo etc....

Sorry for rambling on
Old 11 March 2008, 08:50 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Why dont you mail Simon at JGM and ask him
Old 11 March 2008, 09:01 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

I'll send him a mail tomorrow. What I'm really after are people opnions who run one of the setups above and how they find them in term of real driving performance. My car is a my2003 wrx.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:21 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I have just had an Ecutek remap on my MY99 by Bob Rawle. My mods are-

Magnex de cat centre
Magnex back box
KN panel filter

I still have the standard up pipe fitted and I got 281bhp and 312 lb/ft of torque! This was a a very good result. Not all impreza's are the same, by this I mean that another MY99 with the same mods would make different figures. I am sure JGM will get every possible bit of usable performance out of yours.

The car will drive much better and be more economical not to mention a lot smoother. If you remember the feeling when you first drove your car, its kind of like that only better! Good luck and most of all enjoy it
Old 11 March 2008, 10:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 99 has no cat in the uppipe, the car in question is a 2003 with cat in uppipe

it is worth doing yes, it will still go well without and is less gain for your money peak power wise but the downpipe will open it up nicely low down and torque wise along with the uppipe allowing this to be taken advantage of without concern of the cat breaking up

Simon
Old 11 March 2008, 10:42 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Thanks. That torque figure is amazing. Four wheel power slides. Did your car come with the pre-cat in the up-pipe? I did speak to JGM about my car and he said the problem he had was the up-pipe pre-cat breaking up under higher boost settings, so this was a limiting factor. Why they bothered to fit this is totally beyond me.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:45 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
the 99 has no cat in the uppipe, the car in question is a 2003 with cat in uppipe

it is worth doing yes, it will still go well without and is less gain for your money peak power wise but the downpipe will open it up nicely low down and torque wise along with the uppipe allowing this to be taken advantage of without concern of the cat breaking up

Simon
JGM knows a lot more than I do
Old 11 March 2008, 10:49 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Simon I'll PM you. Sorry didn't realise you were on here.
Old 11 March 2008, 10:51 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Yea I was over the moon with those figures too and I think Bob was impressed as well! As JGM says my MY99 is different to yours. I had 2 cats fitted to mine, I removed the centre cat and replaced it with a straight through pipe. I could have replaced my up pipe and maybe gained a few more bhp. I didn't want to fit a total de cat as I cant be bothered messing about at MOT time. And yes it is a lot of fun in the wet
Old 11 March 2008, 11:04 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

That's cool thanks for your input mate. I agree about the mot and would only go for a sports cat downpipe. They're so expensive though Anybody on here want to get rid of there sports cat downpipe Searched ebay and absolutely nothing.
Old 11 March 2008, 11:12 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

JGM inbox is full. Simon could I just replace the up-pipe and leave the standard downpipe in place. What would this do performance wise? I'm planning on doing the work just before you come over. Can all cel errors be cancelled by your remap?
Old 11 March 2008, 11:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have emptied inbox.

Yes you could do that..

would really just remove the risk.. I am not aware however of many uppipe cats breaking up.. it is just a consideration when it is still fitted.

Simon
Old 11 March 2008, 11:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't buy one with a flexy section tho'......

DunxC
Old 11 March 2008, 11:44 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

so just the downpipe will be good enough in your opinion simon? not the flexi one?
Old 11 March 2008, 11:48 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

View my scooby for MY03 WRXPPP mods, minor changes made to make the WRX the best it could be on a small budget.

Simon if you are coming to chelmsford (where I live ) I can meet you rather than post the Spare wheel bolt and fog lamp if you have it
Old 12 March 2008, 10:16 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

martwrxsl,

i had similar mods to you when Andy F mapped my 03 WRX. Due to leaving the up and downpipe cats in place Andy didn't lean out the fuel as much as he could have done to avoid the risk of the cat breaking up.

Even then, i got 273 bhp and shed more torque too and the car feels like it should, a performance car with a real surge out of bends.

Only extra thing i got (on Andy's advice) was a intercooler/turbo Y pipe to let more air into the cooler as the standard black plastic one is quite restrictive.

With that set up the car goes well, sounds well and importantly for me passed its MOT no problem.

5t.
Old 12 March 2008, 01:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
martwrxsl,

i had similar mods to you when Andy F mapped my 03 WRX. Due to leaving the up and downpipe cats in place Andy didn't lean out the fuel as much as he could have done to avoid the risk of the cat breaking up.

Even then, i got 273 bhp and shed more torque too and the car feels like it should, a performance car with a real surge out of bends.

Only extra thing i got (on Andy's advice) was a intercooler/turbo Y pipe to let more air into the cooler as the standard black plastic one is quite restrictive.

With that set up the car goes well, sounds well and importantly for me passed its MOT no problem.

5t.

How freaky is that ! I got 273bhp with those mods, also remapped by Andy !

Now have sports cat dp and decat up-pipe, quite a bit more responsive/rev happy.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 12 March 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 13 March 2008, 08:16 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your all your responses. I'm sticking with what I've got and fitting the y intercooler hose.