Notices

MY03 STi with PPP > next step in tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2008, 03:50 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 STi with PPP > next step in tuning?

I have a UK MY03 STi with PPP and just wondered what the next logical step in tuning would be.

- Car is daily driver so needs to keep good driveability
- Budget of 2k
- Would like safe/reliable power output on standard internals and turbo.

Ideally would like high 300`s in terms of power.

Would FMIC, headers/upipe, remap suffice?

thanks.
Old 11 April 2008, 07:59 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert mate, but headers and decat etc plus a remap would give you around 350bhp. I know of some who put a full 3" exhaust plus genspec headers and got around that mark. I would have thought to get up around 400bhp would take all of that plus a new turbo. As for turbos a lot seem to recommend the MD321H, which i believe is a bit over a grand. Not sure about injectors, the 550s? might be at there limit there, same for the air intake although a lot would say it's good for up to 400bhp.

I would guess 2K would get you pretty close, maybe if you sell some of the bits you need to change to help with the cost.

Somebody will be along with the right answer i'm sure

Adam
Old 11 April 2008, 08:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Suspension mods will make your car much more driveable and faster than power. I'd recommend at least springs (Eibach), rear ARB (Whiteline) and solid droplinks with a good geo set-up. You could consider an anti-lift kit and front ARB. If you want supreme cornering ability, then get AST coilovers. All these are available as packages from Powerstation.

If it must be power, then again, Powerstation do packages with remap's, filters and exhausts (cat or decat) which will get you around 350, but I used to eat STi's with that power for breakfast on challenging roads in my humble WRX PPP with just 260bhp as my handling was so sorted and I could corner with supreme confidence. The choice is yours, as is your money
Old 14 April 2008, 11:15 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

corradoboy, yes suspension mods are already on the list before any power upgrades. I have whiteline front and rear arbs, drop links, anti-lift etc on my classic and the handling was worlds apart from standard so i know where you are coming from.

any more comments on a safe 380-400bhp?
Old 14 April 2008, 01:07 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Without a tubro swap, you could probably make 330 to 350bhp just changing to a better flowing panel filter (£40 - £70) and a good remap (£650).

If you really want to get up to 400, then I would agree with a MD321H (about £1400).
You would definitely want a better flowing panel filter (£40 - £70)
I don't think it is worth replacing the PPP exhaust at this stage if you are trying to keep costs down as it should get you close to 400. If you do decide to change to a full 3" system (good ones are £500+ for a decat), then it is worth changing to a good set of 4:1 headers (like the Lateral or RCM ones, but not cheap at £450).
You will probably need a FPR (about £200) as a minimum, but 650cc injectors (about £400) would be recommended.
You don't need a FMIC at this level IMHO.
You still need a remap @ £650
It is going to be more than £2000 all in, that is for sure.
Old 14 April 2008, 01:22 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8, thats some good info there.

So i guess the prodrive ecu is quite a conservative map then?
Old 14 April 2008, 05:01 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Yes the PPP map is conservative for a few reasons ... it still needs to be able to work on any STi (natural variation in components); Subaru still want to keep warranty claims to a minimum; the PPP map will not det if you stick normal unleaded in by mistake. It runs very rich IMO.

When I had my 05 STi and PPP remapped for V-Power and an uprated STi panel filter, it made loads more power and torque, and the fuel economy improved too!

Whatever you decide on, I am sure it will put a on your face, the first time you put your right foot down after the changes.